Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Running Lean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Dec 2008, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Running Lean

I have a 96 imported wrx dont really use it alot and am trying to sell it, but had it dyno tested a couple of weeks ago and was told it didnt complete the test because its running dangerously lean as the tubo goes to kick in the car just bogs down and wont go anywhere was told it could be a fuel pump or regulater problem, i changed the fuel filter with no improvement, i dont know alot about these cars in general but was told the compression ratio is suppose to be 10-1 but it is actually 16-1.

Has anyone had this problem before and have any idea what is wrong with it, as you can imagine im trying to sell the car so i dont really wont to spend any money on it really.

Can anyone help me please
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Running Lean

Would check the fuel pump and the regulator if that's what the RR guy has suggested. If fuel pumps on it's way out you'll want that sorted asap. Also, what fuel are you using in your car? If it's an import you'll need to be running the highest octane available in UK which is 99 I believe.

Also your compression ratio is 8:1, not 16:1. Well, not unless you've got a diesel engine in there.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Re: Running Lean

Dangerously lean definately sounds like a fuel starvation issue.

As well as the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator potentially there could be a restriction in a fuel pipe from built up dirt or maybe one of the flexible fuel pipes is pinched somewhere. Equally injector jets may be very cacked up with dirt/deposits. Have you got any fuel leaks from the fuel rail or base of the injectors where they sit in the head, they might only show up when your fuel system is at full std OEM pressure (3bar).

Fuel pump is easy to sort out as is the fuel pressure reg, quick DIY fix to swap those and not expensive to replace. You could get 2nd hand ones if money is an issue. Dirty injectors can be potentially sorted with some REDEX Green injector cleaner.

I use an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a dial guage on it so i can see if fuel pressure is low, i would recommend getting one of those, not expensive either. I don't think you have a prob that can't be easily and cheaply fixed but better get is sorted sooner than later otherwise you could be looking at a properly FUBAR'd engine if it isn't done.