Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

HELP WITH WHEEL BEARING NOISE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Dec 2008, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Arrow HELP WITH WHEEL BEARING NOISE

hi and hope your xmas day went well, i dont know if anyone can help with my wheel bearing noise, the humming gets worse as i drive ( starts as dull drone then gets quite loud after a few miles ) trouble is i cant really tell which wheel its coming from, passengers say it a front noise but as me cant tell which side, ive tried jacking car up and checking for play but nothing, is there a way to check for sure, many thanks rob
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: HELP WITH WHEEL BEARING NOISE

Are you grasping the wheel at the 12o clock to 6 position that should show you any play and rock it hard normally grasping wheel at the 3o clock to 9 would should up wheel bearing to but normally for suspension play like balljoints and suspension parts would say spin the wheel and does it feel rough when spinning but you cant with all wheel drive what else you could do head to a carpark and turn car side to side in car park locking left full and right because you putting different strains on the bearing you should hear the noise more accurate then hopefully, another thing the gearbox oil not running low is it....................
Old 27 Dec 2008, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile Re: HELP WITH WHEEL BEARING NOISE

hi checked oil in gearbox and its fine, tried rocking wheel but no play at all, drove car like you said and noise is louder when i turn right and not so loud when i turn left, does that mean its my offside bearing , thanks rob
Old 27 Dec 2008, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: HELP WITH WHEEL BEARING NOISE

Hi Rob Ya thats right its the leftside one thats gone so the passenger side one but when you doing wheel bearing or your mechanic check the drivers side to cause can have some cases that both go but its best anyway to change them in pairs so two new front wheel bearings for a proper job

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 27 Dec 2008 at 08:57 PM.