Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

MY99 Wagon Engine Starting Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Dec 2008, 10:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question MY99 Wagon Engine Starting Problems

Hi Guys & Gals,

I've been hanging around these forums for a while now (for about 12,000 miles!) but not posted til now, even though many of the threads have been helpful to me, but i may now need to post...

My 1998 MY99 WRX Wagon (MODEL: GF8FK8D ENGINE TYPE: EJ20GNW6ND TRANSMISSION TYPE: TY752VN6AA) has recently had a new clutch, very recently had an oil change (10-40w Synthetic) and I've fitted a boost guage (using the spare pipe on the inlet for it's feed).
It also has a clifford intellistart on it which has worked faultlessly and always fired up within a turn of the engine\key.

Now yesterday I returned to the car to find it wouldn't remote start - it tried 3 times but wouldn't fire... So using the key I started it but it took a good 10 seconds and only really wanted to jump into life when i applied the accelerator.
The same thing happened this morning.

I always let the car run up and turbo time down so cannot understand what is wrong, it's really lumpy to get it started.
The only thing I can think that I have done, is yesterday, shortly after setting off on a journey I had to floor it in 2nd to escape a runaway lorry.. now I didn't think I gave it too much abuse, I did notice that the heaters got almost instantly warm! But expected that!

Has anyone got any ideas? it's fine starting when warm or left for a short length of time, just not after a few hours and it has never done this before! - my intellistart is wasted if it wont crank!

Huge Thanks in advance.

Chris.

p.s. Also, I may need to just search for this, but... how difficult are the spark plugs to change? They were done about 15k ago by it's previous owner, but looking at where they are I dont fancy diving in blind!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Dec 2008, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: MY99 Wagon Engine Starting Problems

You could try the battery first doing a lot of batteries lately for people due to the cold getting at them test it it should be round 12.5volts or over, anything under 10volts is a poor battery and should be changed for a new, try the leads also for cuts or a bad connection best time is to check leads at night in pitch black cause if they cut you'll will see like a blue spark from the leads id try all that first the small things cause somthing only minor id reckon then if no luck with that id check the gaps in the plugs and you will have some fun getting at them but once you have the right tools and some time you would fly through them best of luck
Offline   Reply With Quote