Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

brake pedal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Dec 2008, 09:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

brake pedal

please help im having a problem with my brakes at high speed. when i hit about 85-90mph (i know i shouldnt be doing this speed) my brake pedal goes all hard and stiff and the car drags gently to the right and as soon as i let go the brake pedal goes bk to normal again ive had the abs light come on a couple of times when i hit these speeds as well. i took it to my local subaru garage the other day for a service and a full check on the brakes system and they said everything is fine and the diagnostic machine came bk with all ok.
any help would be great as it is a bit scary and dangerous
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: brake pedal

when you at that speed and brake a bit hard does the steering wheel wobble and vibrate as if this happens could be and more than likely warped discs is they any score marks on the front and back side of disc like pic below that tells you it warped

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 02 Feb 2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 05:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

no it doesnt wobble or vibrate it just pulls me to right. i just cant figure out why my brake pedal goes all hard and stiff and when i press it, feels like ive got no brakeing power at all. but when the brake pedal goes hard and i press it then take my foot of it goes back to normal weird
Old 22 Dec 2008, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Left front calipers seized by the sounds of it,the rubber seals/possibly the pistons need replacing,they get crapped up then the pistons push out unequally albeit slight-sometimes causes wear on the caliper pistons(if subaru 4pots)where they`ve caught caliper insides.

Mostly ya can get away with just the seals (caliper service kit)and cleaning the piston/s up an put bk together

Not sure on what model you`ve got if its older than that an not 4pots could be same problem however make sure the sliders the caliper moves on are in good nick an not crapped up behind the dustcovers.

Gotta be honest though had nothing to do with front brakes on scoobys that arent 4pots.

Would recommend some mintex pads aswell 1144 or 1155 are sound though not cheap.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg1 View Post
no it doesnt wobble or vibrate it just pulls me to right. i just cant figure out why my brake pedal goes all hard and stiff and when i press it, feels like ive got no brakeing power at all. but when the brake pedal goes hard and i press it then take my foot of it goes back to normal weird
Must be caliper problem so UK Dave sounds spot on..............
Old 22 Dec 2008, 10:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

when i took it to subaru they said the brakes were all fine and the pads are all evenly worn.
i might take it back and get them to double check again
Old 23 Dec 2008, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

I would. There is obviously a problem. They probably gave the car no more than a cursory look and then plugged it in to the computer. If you get no joy there then maybe consider getting someone else to take a look. Dodgy brakes are not something you want to take a chance on.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 05:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

would help to know what model year it is. really, the garage cant test the brakes under the conditions you've described because of the speed involved. All they'll have done is check it over in the workshop. Sounds a bit strange that they plugged the diagnostic in to find a brake fault. The classics do suffer from sticking calipers tho. had 2 sieze on mine in 3 years now