Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Stiff clutch on a 98 2.5 RS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Dec 2008, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Stiff clutch on a 98 2.5 RS?

Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to make the clutch not as stiff. I'm planning on buying a 98 RS and the only true problem with it is the very stiff clutch and the amount of play while shifting. I can buy bushings for the shifter and replace it but for the clutch, I don't know what to do. I can only move it maybe 3 inches (or 8cm to some of you outside the US) down and the clutch doesn't touch the floor at all. It works just fine internally but it's really stiff. Car is almost at 100k millage (don't know if other countries use millage or not, sorry). Any ideas?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Dec 2008, 12:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: Stiff clutch on a 98 2.5 RS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiroFyre View Post
Hey, I was wondering if there was a way to make the clutch not as stiff. I'm planning on buying a 98 RS and the only true problem with it is the very stiff clutch and the amount of play while shifting. I can buy bushings for the shifter and replace it but for the clutch, I don't know what to do. I can only move it maybe 3 inches (or 8cm to some of you outside the US) down and the clutch doesn't touch the floor at all. It works just fine internally but it's really stiff. Car is almost at 100k millage (don't know if other countries use millage or not, sorry). Any ideas?

Did this problem just happen all off a sudden or is it their since you have the car what clutch do you have in it is it an original clutch can help ya but need to find more info on clutch cause some are heavy sprung and that makes the clutch pedal feel heavier and stiff but do you mean stiff as in the pedal slow to come back up off the ground.................???????
Old 17 Dec 2008, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

It's stiff as in hard to press down. I haven't yet bought the car but I'm planning on buying it tomorrow night. Right now, I'm trying to find some info on it and it tells me I should at least bleed the hydraulic clutch first. My friend says it's a hydraulic clutch but I don't know if he's 100%. The current owner (the guy I'm buying it from) said everything was stock. When I went to go see the car, it just looked stock to me. When I drove it, the clutch was hard to press and only moved about 8cm down. The pedal never touch the floor.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiroFyre View Post
It's stiff as in hard to press down. I haven't yet bought the car but I'm planning on buying it tomorrow night. Right now, I'm trying to find some info on it and it tells me I should at least bleed the hydraulic clutch first. My friend says it's a hydraulic clutch but I don't know if he's 100%. The current owner (the guy I'm buying it from) said everything was stock. When I went to go see the car, it just looked stock to me. When I drove it, the clutch was hard to press and only moved about 8cm down. The pedal never touch the floor.
Your friend is right its a hydraulic clutch that 2.5rs is the N/A meaning no turbo isnt it, with the no turbo it has the push type clutch not like the turbo with the pull type clutch its strange that the clutch dosnt go to the floor cause it should not in less the fella messed with adjusting the pedal freeplay on the clutch pedal cause never heard off a pedal not hitting the floor or it could be a faulty master cyclinder but anyway as for the stiff pedal you can go away and wd40 the clutch pedal hinges and the push rod that goes to the master cyclinder you can spray it from getting your head under the dash and spray that push rod that will help it a bit but I felt when i got my sti the clutch pedal that little bit harder to press down as a normal car it feels a bit heavy................ hope it helps

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 17 Dec 2008 at 07:06 PM.