Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

gear ratio comparison?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Dec 2008, 07:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

gear ratio comparison?

Hi I am looking to buy either an STI or an RA model MY93/94 and have had a read through about the gear ratios and everything but can someone just answer one question for me?
How many revs is each model doing at 60/70/80mph?

Cheers
Craig
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Dec 2008, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: gear ratio comparison?

thinkt he ra i was driving few weeks ago was doing about 60mph at 4k rpm, but sod me does it ake off like a scalded cat lol
Old 06 Dec 2008, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Hi Mate. My RA (V5 STi) is doing around 3,500 at 60 mph (100 Km/h) can't remember standard STi as only driven on occassion not owned. And yes the RA's are very quick, especially in STi form.
Old 06 Dec 2008, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
Hi Mate. My RA (V5 STi) is doing around 3,500 at 60 mph (100 Km/h) can't remember standard STi as only driven on occassion not owned. And yes the RA's are very quick, especially in STi form.
Like Wayne said and yes my RA is very quick
Old 06 Dec 2008, 03:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thats kind of what i want to hear. i know a couple of ppl who have had the ra and heard nothing but shear praise for them especially the acceleration being like s**t off a freshly polished shovel but i'm hoping they can manage motorway journeys aswell as, unfortunatley, i occasionally have to do that to get to the play areas lol. I am thinking of probably an sti 3 ra any suggestions or comments etc? I'll be honest i'm new to the scooby scene and know very little but i really do love them............. I sound so sad lol
Old 06 Dec 2008, 05:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Funny enough i was gonna write about the probs of the RA and you have kind of brought the main one up; highway driving. Tbh, the reasons the RA is so quick are the very reasons its not a great motorway car; the close ratio box makes for very slow going if you want to get any kind of reasonable mpg. You'll need to keep it off boost (below 60 mph) to do that. I have driven it over 400 miles to north Japan and then 400 miles back and tbh didn't really bother me to drive at those speeds. It's also pretty noisy (less sound proofing than an STi.) though i can live with it as its a lot quieter than my old WRX that had de-cat and uprated exhaust etc. Close ratio box also makes city driving a bit of a pain but again I'm used to it now. That said, the performance more than makes up for it and you will be the king of the B-roads as there is very little out there that will keep up and certainly nothing in the same price bracket.

Btw, the Version III STi is a great car (as are all STi's) and is, by many, regarded as one of the the best STi out there. Apparently the head of STi has come out and said this. Good choice imo.

Last edited by rikimaru; 06 Dec 2008 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06 Dec 2008, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thats great news then. I think I can live with a low motorway cruising speed, will load up the ipod and plan the assault on the pending b-roads!!

An STi III RA it must be!

Cheers for the help rikimaru, makes a change to find a welcoming owners forum aswell!
Old 06 Dec 2008, 02:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

More than welcome.

Made a wise decision that you will not regret. Great motors. I intended buying an Evo VI as I fancied a change and none of the STi's i had driven altered that until my wife insisted we try out the RA (yes, the wife). Think my mind was made up the minute i opened her up on the test drive.

Best of luck with the car and please post pics once you have the car.
Old 06 Dec 2008, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

am i right in thinking the STi III RA should have no air con, electric windows and central locking or were they options on them? I have seen a few advertised as RAs but with air con etc?
Old 06 Dec 2008, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

air con depends on the former owner. mines got it. my STI RA v2 isnt to bad on the motorway, bit noisey but will plod along at 70mph. its quite good fun getting there though
Old 06 Dec 2008, 04:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

cool, I think its a definate now that I will be finding an RA
Old 06 Dec 2008, 05:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecraig View Post
cool, I think its a definate now that I will be finding an RA
I think it would be a good choice if your into a raw hardcore car i have a v6 sti RA and thank got no trouble with it have no abs no electric windows and no air con i dont even have holy s**t handles over your head when you take a scared passenger for a slow spin ha ha and they want to hang onto somthing all is what they be doing is tightening that seat belt but serious they great if you can live without them creature comforts get an RA THEY GREAT FUN................
Old 08 Dec 2008, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

who'd of thought my 1st post would lead to the number 1 in the top 10?? LOL

Just a quick point can anyone tell me how the 3500rpm ish @60mph does compare to an ordinary sti 3?

thanks
Old 11 Dec 2008, 01:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

think its about 500rpm less ish