Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

MOT Failure - Headlight AIM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2008, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

MOT Failure - Headlight AIM

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you have come accreoss this before.

I took my MY 98 impreza t in for an MOT today. It failed on the headlamp aim test on the drivers side light.

The garage claims I need a completely new headlight. They showed me the problem. If you grab the back of the light (the part where the connectors attach to the bulb) you can move the light up/down and it seems quite loose.

They wanted 300 for a new light or 150 for a second hand one.

I laughed and went home, jumped on ebay, and got myself a new one for 20!!!!

Prob is, the new one does exactly the same thing. I noticed on the new one there is an adjustment screw (there is on the old one too). I have tightened this up (clockwise) and it moves the internals back and forth and when turned fully, holds the lamp perfectly in possistion. I cant be sure the aim iscorrect though.

Is my garage bull****ing me? or is the new one fooked as well?

Whats the best way to test the aim?

Lot of questions I know. Just hope someone else has had this as I have a retest on Monday and dont know if its worth putting the new light on or not. Or shall i just tighten the screw on the old one?

Cheers

Martyn
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: MOT Failure - Headlight AIM

My technical approach would be(if youre struggling that is ) try jamming something carefully between outer ring of headlamp and bulb wiring plug/bulbholder just to steady it-aint gotta last long so long as its steady(and aims not high) for the mot-got auto adjusters on mine so not an issue.