Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

sti engine into a wrx??????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Dec 2008, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

sti engine into a wrx??????

Hi all, after advice as per usual! Just wondering what would be involved in fitting an sti engine to my wrx, ie i have a complete wrx engine all ancilleries included and was cosidering buying an sti engine which is complete as in head/block/sump etc but has no ancilleries. So just wondered if it'd be as simple as unbolting inlet manifold, plenium, exhaust manifold, intercooler etc and re-fitting it to the sti lump or is it not this simple??? Also, am running a z4 ecu on the wrx, would this be interchangable between the two engine's or would i need a different ecu also??
Any info, advice gratefully received!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2008, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: sti engine into a wrx??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwheelboy View Post
Hi all, after advice as per usual! Just wondering what would be involved in fitting an sti engine to my wrx, ie i have a complete wrx engine all ancilleries included and was cosidering buying an sti engine which is complete as in head/block/sump etc but has no ancilleries. So just wondered if it'd be as simple as unbolting inlet manifold, plenium, exhaust manifold, intercooler etc and re-fitting it to the sti lump or is it not this simple??? Also, am running a z4 ecu on the wrx, would this be interchangable between the two engine's or would i need a different ecu also??
Any info, advice gratefully received!
I would imagine you would need a new ecu as the power different from a wrx to sti so everything would be different or you could reprogramme the one you got but best advice id ring the tuners they would tell you straight away..................
Old 04 Dec 2008, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Cool Re: sti engine into a wrx??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
I would imagine you would need a new ecu as the power different from a wrx to sti so everything would be different or you could reprogramme the one you got but best advice id ring the tuners they would tell you straight away..................
Good thought! Will check with my local tuner. Mine is running a z4 ecu which i don't beleive is standard? Any idea about whether the ancilleries are interchangable?
Old 04 Dec 2008, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Good thought! Will check with my local tuner. Mine is running a z4 ecu which i don't beleive is standard? Any idea about whether the ancilleries are interchangable?
Good question id ask them cause connectors and wiring looms might be different..........................
Old 04 Dec 2008, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Faif play mate.....maybe a type-r is the way forward lol
Old 04 Dec 2008, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
A type r integra or a type r impreza
Old 04 Dec 2008, 12:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:

As Darren says, it likely won't be a straight swap. You'll certainly need a re-map or even a new ECU as the map you have for your WRX won't be optimal for an STi engine. It could start to get pricey real quick.

As you say Type R or even better an RA could be the way to go. I am mildly biased though. Insurance costs are a killer though and good luck getting parts in UK.
Old 04 Dec 2008, 09:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

hey, i just put a sti engine in my wrx wagon. All parts are interchangable! ecu will work fine! (although wont do any harm to put a sti one on!)
be very careful tho with the engine you choose!! i got a 'recon' engine less ancillaries, through sum dodgy place on ebay! now got solicitors onto him for sending out dodgy engine, the second one he sent was fine tho. he just trying to avoid giving me back my labour charges for fitting and taking out the 1st engine he sent.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
A type r integra or a type r impreza
Impreza!! Not going back to front wheel drive now!
Old 28 Dec 2008, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

I have a newage MY02 WRX wagon and put an STi8 into it earlier this year. The engine goes straight in and so does everything else but if you want to take advantage of the AVCS you have to change the wiring loom as well so i had to rip out the old loom and install a V.7 STi loom and make several changes to the loom in order to run items like the rear washwipe, headlamp levelling and a couple of other things. Without AVCS it will be a bit laggy but it will still run without it if you don't change the ECU.

There are other things to consider as well like the alarm/immobiliser swap and ignition key re-sync, engine and gearbox mounts need uprating as the std ones aren't really man enough for the STi lump if you tune it, and while you have it all out you may as well get some decent headers for it or port the standard ones you have already and at least chuck a decat uppipe on it. Good luck though as it's a worthwhile conversion and the power difference compared to the WRX is chalk and cheese.

However, now that my 5spd gearbox is on the way out due to the more than it can handle torque the engine now produces it's time to chuck in a bullet-proof 6spd which means it will have LSD on the front as well as the rear. All you need for that is the gearbox, gearbox linkage and shorter 6spd propshaft from an equivalent MY01-MY05 STi and STi clutch kit. Front and rear final drives on 01-05 WRX and STi should be the same if it's a newage car. If it isn't then you will have to go the whole hog and get an STi Diff and drive shafts as well otherwise you will be ripping the gearbox to bits if the final drives don't match.

Good luck with it, i hope it's a smooth transformation.

Last edited by ScoobieWRX; 28 Dec 2008 at 01:40 AM.