Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

PLEASE HELP....MILAGE ON A SUBARU

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Nov 2008, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

PLEASE HELP....MILAGE ON A SUBARU

I want to go buy a subaru asap and the 1 ive seen for my budget has done 150000 miles and is a t reg...my question is...is this a alot and what kind of milage do you get from a subaru 2 litre none turbos engine before problems start to occur..please help as im going to buy this asap

please pm with as much info as possible..thankyou all

Last edited by mrsinister; 25 Nov 2008 at 06:00 PM.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2008, 07:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: PLEASE HELP....MILAGE ON A SUBARU

Wouldnt touch it mate....
Old 25 Nov 2008, 07:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Cant comment on none turbos however a mate had had 2 rebuilds on his turbo by 45,000 mile,would have to be very very cheap.

Last edited by uk dave; 25 Nov 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Cant comment on none turbos however a mate had had 2 rebuilds on his turbo by 45,000 mile,would have to be very very cheap.
what would you say was cheap..can you give me something to bargain the price dowm ,some advice..he want 900 for the car..what should i be checking..its got a full 12 months M O T
Old 26 Nov 2008, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister View Post
what should i be checking..

Look at start of this site for checklist or impreza checklist that will tell you..................
Old 26 Nov 2008, 04:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

tbh mate 150,000 miles is high on any car. Yes it's a non turbo but unless it has been serviced religiously and looked after it's probably not worth the aggro. Problem with Subarus I have found out is that any job is made more difficult and a lot more expensive if someone else does it because it's a boxer engine. As an example, it costs 1500 yen labour to change plugs on an Evo at my local Autobacs, to do mine they ask for 12,000 yen labour (60 quid). That seem to amplify the bigger the problem. A blown engine will cost you thousands to get sorted, turbo or not.

At the kind of mileage that car has on it it's only a matter of time before you're gonna be spending a lot, lot more than you paid for it if you wanna keep it on the road. My advice would be don't bother and maybe save and spend a bit more on something with reasonable mileage. Even 90-100,000 miles would be ok.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister View Post
what would you say was cheap..can you give me something to bargain the price dowm ,some advice..he want 900 for the car..what should i be checking..its got a full 12 months M O T

Link: Welcome mrsinister joins our Forums...

Old 27 Nov 2008, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
tbh mate 150,000 miles is high on any car. Yes it's a non turbo but unless it has been serviced religiously and looked after it's probably not worth the aggro. Problem with Subarus I have found out is that any job is made more difficult and a lot more expensive if someone else does it because it's a boxer engine. As an example, it costs 1500 yen labour to change plugs on an Evo at my local Autobacs, to do mine they ask for 12,000 yen labour (60 quid). That seem to amplify the bigger the problem. A blown engine will cost you thousands to get sorted, turbo or not.

At the kind of mileage that car has on it it's only a matter of time before you're gonna be spending a lot, lot more than you paid for it if you wanna keep it on the road. My advice would be don't bother and maybe save and spend a bit more on something with reasonable mileage. Even 90-100,000 miles would be ok.
thanks for all the answers ,its a t reg and has 12 services stamps,so very well serviced..
Old 28 Nov 2008, 10:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

You dont say how many owners the car has had ???. i bought a t reg turbo 4 weeks ago,it had 2 owners, the 1st were royal bank of scotland,and the 2nd was a 62 yr old gentleman who had had the car for the last 6 yrs;and used it mainly to take his dog for a walks in the country .dispite the mileage the car had full sevice history and up to now runs like a dream. No turbo smoke, no oil leaks,etc etc. The only thing i have noticed is that under extreme cornering it looks like it might eat front tyres,but what the heck.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
i bought a t reg turbo 4 weeks ago,it had 2 owners, the 1st were royal bank of scotland,and the 2nd was a 62 yr old gentleman who had had the car for the last 6 yrs;and used it mainly to take his dog for a walks in the country .dispite the mileage the car had full sevice history and up to now runs like a dream. No turbo smoke, no oil leaks,etc etc. The only thing i have noticed is that under extreme cornering it looks like it might eat front tyres,but what the heck.
Sounds like you found a good un! Congrats.............

Old 29 Nov 2008, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Thanks pete the trouble when you go to buy a high performance car is you dont know how hard the previous owner (owners) has caned it. I spent 2 months looking at nearly 30 other cars,and most of them had multiple owners,and patchy service history. As soon as i viewd my car,my mind was pretty much made up before i drove it.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 08:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider View Post
Thanks pete the trouble when you go to buy a high performance car is you dont know how hard the previous owner (owners) has caned it. I spent 2 months looking at nearly 30 other cars,and most of them had multiple owners,and patchy service history. As soon as i viewd my car,my mind was pretty much made up before i drove it.
Ya true had a look at loads to before finding the right one and you just know its the one for ya
Old 30 Nov 2008, 09:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

never fear lol anyone buys a dodgy impreza i can fix it ;o) lol
Old 30 Nov 2008, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliaguyuk View Post
never fear lol anyone buys a dodgy impreza i can fix it ;o) lol

Ha Ha thought you would have enough with that head gasket should be a mechanic ha ha
Old 30 Nov 2008, 04:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Young Scooby

the thoughts crossed my mind lol i enjoyed workng on it ;o)