Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

1997 Impreza turbo pause accelerating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2008, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

1997 Impreza turbo pause accelerating

Hi, I have a 1997 impreza turbo standard UK spec with no mods. The car runs faultless when its all warmed up. Recently it has started hesitating during acceleration. It only happens during hard acceleration from say 50mph to 80mph about 4000 rpm in 4th/5th gear. It seems to only happen in the mornings until about 5 mins after the engine is at normal temp. It is worse when it's raining. I can only describe it as the effect when you get water in a carb. Its like one of the plugs is misfiring or the choke is going off to soon. I thought it was a worn clutch but surely that would show symptoms at other times. I have read a lot of posts about the cold clutch judder prob but I think that is my issue.

Also I don't know if its related but I have noticed after a run on the motorway there is sometimes a repetitive clicking noise during idle. This continues for a few seconds after the engine is switched off. The noise is coming from a solonoid valve thats mounted on the driverside wheel arch. I think its the waste gate solonoid valve but I'm not sure. Is this normal, I only suspect a fault because if you turn the engine off then restart the clicking noise stops.

Many thanks to anyone who has the time to reply
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2008, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: 1997 Impreza turbo pause accelerating

When was the last fuel filter change and plugs????? that clicking noise you getting would be the boost solenoid valve have a look at ''cleaned boost solenoid'' in discussions sect page 3 and ''boosting'' page 2 engine bay sect that should help.......................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 19 Nov 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I thought I would post a quick update. I called a local Subaru dealer and they think it may be the MAF (mines the purple label) 300 - 400 he said. They said to take off the boost solenoid and see if any oil is inside. It had no oil, was dry and did not seem dirty so I just put it back on. I was going to use some brake cleaner inside but the dealer said that this part is out of stock for 6 weeks and I didn't want to take a chance. I have noticed that the hesitation is much worse on cold days. I looked into problems with the MAF but I am not sure if thats my fault. From what I have read when the MAF goes the engine runs rough, lumpy and stalls. My engine runs smooth and never stalls it just hesitates accelerating now and then. It feels like the boost is fluctuating between off and on. It feels like I am taking my foot on and off the accelerator a few times really quick. I have filled up with Shell V power and the clicking when I turn the engine off has gone (at least for 2 days now). I am open to any suggestions
Old 26 Nov 2008, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

With the maf sensor start the engine when it well warmed up must be warm to normal operating temp or it will fool you if not, then disconnect the sensor if the engine stalls its fine if the engine dont stall its the sensor this will throw up an engine light when disconnected but when you put connector back on it will clear it try that sure and see
Old 04 Dec 2008, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I have given up on this and decided to let the Subaru garage diagnose the fault. I think it will be quicker and less expensive in the long run than swapping out parts. They have cleaned the boost solinoid, and checked the wastegate activator. Now they think it may be HT leads or ignition coil. I will post the results.
Old 10 Dec 2008, 09:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Subaru have fixed the problem by replacing the coil and HT leads. The hesitation has gone and full power has been restored. Thanks for your help
Old 10 Dec 2008, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshepperd View Post
Subaru have fixed the problem by replacing the coil and HT leads. The hesitation has gone and full power has been restored. Thanks for your help

Great al sorted so