Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Droaning Noise from rear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Nov 2008, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Droaning Noise from rear

Hello All,

I have a noise thats driving me up the wall!

It has been present for the last, say 10K miles. At first i was told it was wheel bearings, both (rear) have now been replaced yet i still have the noise.

The noise starts as soon as you set off, above 5 mph. Its a droaning noise similar too what I would expexct from the bearings (subaru agreed). It contiunes all the way up to about 150mph. The tone does seem to vary on the road surface but is present all the time. It does not change tone depending on speed.

Now the bearings have been replaced, they (subaru) are telling me it the tyres making the noise. So I did a quick roation of them. Still had the noise and as the tyres were getting low, i decided to buy new wheels and tyres. (Prev 18")

With the new 17" rota torques on, I still get the same noise. Its coming from the rear, but can tell exactly where.

When stationary I get a noise coming from the rear diff and it sounds like a power drill, could this be related to the problem.

Thanks for listening, any help would be very apreciated!

Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2008, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: Droaning Noise from rear

Rear diff when stationary`s an interesting one ,wheelbearing type noise is harmonic noise from the rear diff its a regular thing with scoobys i get it on mine,also get some resonance from my exhaust at certain volumes that can be confused with this too.

Dont get noise from diff though when stationary-aint even listened though to see if ya can hear the fuelpump inside the tank.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Just out of interest what exhaust system do you have? Mines a blitz nur spec R.

So its totaly normal to be able to hear the diff when driving along? The thing that worries me is every time i go over a little bump or ridge in the road the noise changes for a millasecond, almost stops, then continues.

Thanks for you promt replies dave!
Old 19 Nov 2008, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Is the rear diff topped up with oil to max level
Old 20 Nov 2008, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

To be honest, I am not sure all I am going by is what the garage has told me.

I just tried to get the top bolt out but it's propa jammed up. Any ideas of a way to get it out without breaking it? (I have tried wd40)

Cheers
Old 21 Nov 2008, 01:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

You need a square box socket cant remember size again and use a breaker bar that should do it would reckon it low on oil try that thats the cheapest option firstly.....................
Old 25 Nov 2008, 02:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Diff oil good. Drained and replaced. Still getting noise. Removed jack from body work, still get noise. WTF is it its driving me nuts!
I put back on my old 17"s and i still get the noise so it aint the new wheels/tyres.

The garage thinks I am wasting their time so I am at a loss on what to do. "help me subaru-impreza.org, you are my only hope" lol
Old 25 Nov 2008, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Sorry, slight miss type

I put back on my old 17"s and i still get the noise so it aint the new wheels/tyres.

It's 18"s not 17", the new wheels are 17"s
Old 25 Nov 2008, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Lol well as OB1 i`ll try -dont bother with garages "use the force",seriously though just how loud is it? could always try changing the diff mount bushes but i`d only be giving ya an option not a definate solution.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscoobie View Post
Just out of interest what exhaust system do you have? Mines a blitz nur spec R.

So its totaly normal to be able to hear the diff when driving along? The thing that worries me is every time i go over a little bump or ridge in the road the noise changes for a millasecond, almost stops, then continues.

Thanks for you promt replies dave!
Got afterburner full exhaust,i get it a bit with mine yer but not that bad that it bothers me and only at certain speeds-though ive still gotta turn the stereo down to listen for it.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 08:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Just a thought but would it help to run it on a rolling road ? You might be able to have a bit of a play.
Matt
Old 28 Nov 2008, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

#Hey Guys,

Just a quick update to this, I am now getting a knock when shifting in 2nd 3rd and 4th or when I come off the throttle quickly under boost. The knock is defo coming from the rear. Could this be related? Matt- The garage has had it on the rolling road and were unable to hear the noise at all. This led them to the conclusion it was the tyres but its not.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Ohhh Guys.......had an MOT advisory saying that the Nearside and offside Anti-roll bar linkages had slight play in a pin/bush. Could this be it?

Garage has quoted 146.87 for both inc Vat and Labor. Is this a good price?

Cheers

Martyn
Old 28 Nov 2008, 06:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscoobie View Post
Ohhh Guys.......had an MOT advisory saying that the Nearside and offside Anti-roll bar linkages had slight play in a pin/bush. Could this be it?

Garage has quoted 146.87 for both inc Vat and Labor. Is this a good price?

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn Normally when the anti roll bar links would go in any of my last cars cause of the great roads in Ireland they would normally knock or like a tap tap noise and its worse on a bumpy road would say that a bit pricey over here but dont know the rates in England for garage prices...............
Old 10 Dec 2008, 11:07 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Re: Droaning Noise from rear

I dont know if this is related or a similar issue, but my 1998 WRX Wagon, when accelerating in 2nd gear seems to vibrate from the rear when it comes on boost. It's quite a violent vibration and seems to come from the rear, possibly the diff? it may be the exhaust, but seems to violent for that... It also sometimes does it in 3rd but not as harsh and stops after a certain revs and becomes smooth and nice then.
I've only just bought the car so didn't notice it at first and thought it might be just typical behavior of an AWD car???

I'll try and post a vid if I can get the cam to pick up the noise...