Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

sudden loss of power and engine cut out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Nov 2008, 08:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

sudden loss of power and engine cut out

can anyone point out the usual possible reasons for this to happen? i was cruising on motorway doing about 60mph, power suddenly went, car slowed up and engine cut out as i began to pull onto the hard shoulder. power steering went, potentially v. dangerous.
the car is a UK MY99. the only time this has happened before was about 20k ago when car was under warranty, i think it was the MAF sensor.
when this happened the revs wobbled about abit and then went low and engine cut.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Re: sudden loss of power and engine cut out

Did the car start an run ok after or did ya have to be recovered?,only times with other cars ive had simular stuff happen its been either fuel pump related or electrical fault-when my maf went were only really obvious by a crap idle then after cleaning it an reconnecting threw cel so could read faultcode to confirm.

Sorry i cant be more help-only had maf go on mine once.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

the car immediately started and i drove straight off. got home 10mins later.

i started the car earlier this evening and watched the idle for a while and all seemed fine. i then went to pull off gently and the car suddenly stalled. i then restarted and drove it without problem for about 10 minutes.
the fuel pump has been uprated and i always hear it priming when ignition is put on, although it may have sounded louder than normal this evening, but that might be down to over heightened senses due to the problem

i have been getting a tapping sound from under the passenger side bonnet when car is idling cold lately, but it disappears when the car is warm or when you press the gas, not sure it any of this is related. i wouldn't mind knowing what are the likely/common associated problems that go with this behavior before i take it to a garage.

Andrew
Old 17 Nov 2008, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Ref the noise as in like the tick of the injectors or louder??
Old 17 Nov 2008, 10:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

i couldn't be sure mate to be honest. it's audible, but not loud, and disappears as car warms. but it has been playing on my mind for a good number of weeks. I'm not panicing too much yet about the whole affair but i've just spent just under a grand getting the 90k service done.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

not the tick from injectors though
Old 18 Nov 2008, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Could be fuel pump related alright sounds like it might,Try the the trottle body for a vacuum leak and inlet manifold or hoses round it or a blocked fuel injector or a choked fuel filter
Old 19 Nov 2008, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

cheers. i'll check for leaks first. the fuel filter is new. a fuel cut sounds right.
it hasn't happened since.

Last edited by brumbrum; 19 Nov 2008 at 06:40 PM.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 08:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Could be a bit of piston slap(the tapping) to be fair andrew i get a bit on mine when its cold cant really hear unless your under the bonnet though.

Found this if it helps mate-

Excessive piston slap occurs when the clearance between the piston and the cylinder bore is too great. The piston to cylinder bore clearance becomes too great either through wear, mismatched pistons and cylinder bores at manufacturing or, a combination of both. The audible noise associated with excessive piston slap is due to the perpendicular impact of the piston against the wall of the cylinder bore. Audible piston slap is typically loudest when the engine is first started up. The pistons then expand with heat reducing the piston to cylinder bore clearance thus, reducing the perpendicular impact of the piston against the cylinder wall and its resulting noise.
Old 20 Nov 2008, 09:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

nice one Dave. to be honest, in the back of my mind i've been thinking that the tapping was Piston Slap but don't really know what it's meant to sound like and if it is a serious problem. the only time i hear it is within the first five minutes of driving when engine is cold. it then disappears. it does sound like a kind of hollow tapping on a tin/metal can or tube which would make sense if it was the above mentioned. so is it relatively normal? and should i be worried about it?
Old 20 Nov 2008, 11:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

lol you`re an impreza owner worry about the problem when it happens unless it developed into a constant noise or got louder i wouldnt be too bothered.

Lol had to laugh at mine the other wk thought i`d got some bottom end noise till i got a big stick an held it against the header heatshields,know they`re about nackered where they bolt together they`ve just rusted away an were rattling-Relief were not the word when said big stick were held on em an all was quiet