Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Meh! Scooby took its first bite out of my bank account.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Nov 2008, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Meh! Scooby took its first bite out of my bank account.

Took the scoob into my mechanic to check out a plastic guard that was hanging down underneath. looks like someone's tried to do a DIY job and sheared a couple of retaining bolts putting it back on. He strapped them up and will drill/re-tap when it goes in for a service.

More importantly, while it was up on the ramp I noticed oil leaking from one of the rear shocks. Two new shocks and the labour to fit and I'm 300 lighter in the wallet. I knew scooby ownership was going to cost a bit, but I didn't expect the bills to start rolling in this soon!

Good job I can now drive it to work to cheer me up.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 01:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: Meh! Scooby took its first bite out of my bank account.

Welcome to scooby ownership!

Think the new age scoobs have an issue with the standard shocks not lasting too long. Could just be the STi's though.

To be fair though mine hasn't cost me a penny beyond servicing costs in the year that I've had it and runs great. And now that petrol is back to 135 yen (from 200 8 weeks ago) for a litre of 100 octane I'm one happy bunny!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Nov 2008, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

My 05 sti is on to its 2nd pair of rear shocks there must definitly be a problem some where along the line as it's only got 27k on it................it's been repaired all under warrenty but will go after market when these go and i have to foot the bill !!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2008, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Mine's an 04 WRX though, I hope the shocks aren't as flaky on these too. Also looks like one of the rear tyres has a slow leak (and some scrubbing on the inner edge, probably due to being under-inflated) so that looks like the next thing.