Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Battery Charge Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Oct 2008, 11:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Exclamation Battery Charge Problems

Hi there, in the past year i've gone through 4 alternators and still seem to be havin a problem keeping my battery charged, i drive everyday so standing still for ages isn't an issue. I dont want to believe the other ones i've had were all shot so was wondering what else may be causing this problem, how do you know how much water should be in each cell?, thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2008, 10:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Re: Battery Charge Problems

sounds like an electrical fault wiping it out while the cars not running.

where abouts in the uk are you?
Old 13 Oct 2008, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Sounds like an electrical fault alright would they be any way that you dont notice like a boot light or a glovebox light staying on constant cause that would drain power and be the problem stick at it you'll find it eventually hate problems like that you would go mad hope you find it Would you not go for a maintenance free battery they seem to be that bit better........................

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 13 Oct 2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 13 Oct 2008, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
Sounds like an electrical fault alright would they be any way that you dont notice like a boot light or a glovebox light staying on constant cause that would drain power and be the problem stick at it you'll find it eventually hate problems like that you would go mad hope you find it Would you not go for a maintenance free battery they seem to be that bit better........................

boot light shouldn't be an issue as long as the battery is taking charge ok and alternaters charging it well, took month and half for it to drain the power out of the wreck of my old car lol
Old 14 Oct 2008, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i live in Northampton, alternator is kickin out bout 12.8v no load, i'm not even sure if this is normal, i just assume it is as its a 12v battery, think i will go maintenance free next time the sound of sloshin water each time i remove just isnt rite, lol!. i have loads of supid problems with my car but this is the most annoyin at the min.
Old 14 Oct 2008, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i live northamptonshire, yeah it really is a pain in the arse to have to keep rechargin the battery every few days, lol!, i'm assumin the alternator is working as its kickin out bout 12.8v no load, well i assume thats right as i have a 12v battery, could be wrong though usually am!
Old 14 Oct 2008, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
boot light shouldn't be an issue as long as the battery is taking charge ok and alternaters charging it well, took month and half for it to drain the power out of the wreck of my old car lol

Ha ha cancel that out so
Old 14 Oct 2008, 08:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxywigs View Post
i live northamptonshire, yeah it really is a pain in the arse to have to keep rechargin the battery every few days, lol!, i'm assumin the alternator is working as its kickin out bout 12.8v no load, well i assume thats right as i have a 12v battery, could be wrong though usually am!

Normally with engine running no load and no a/c turned on, a low output would be 13.0v or less and 13.5 normal and 14.0v strong output................. but the 12.8 would say nearly ok..................
Old 15 Oct 2008, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

so i actually might have just had some really bad luck with second hand alternators!, think i may look at just buyin new, any idea where i can get a good value one?
Old 15 Oct 2008, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
so i actually might have just had some really bad luck with second hand alternators!, think i may look at just buyin new, any idea where i can get a good value one?
Id say try a good car parts stockist or you could buy subaru genuine part but might cost ya.....................
Old 23 Oct 2008, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

All sorted now, turned out to be a broken wire from the battery to the engine im now chargin at 14.8v!, thanks for all your help guys
Old 23 Oct 2008, 10:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
All sorted now, turned out to be a broken wire from the battery to the engine im now chargin at 14.8v!, thanks for all your help guys
thats a good strong voltage glad you sorted it