Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

engine check light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

engine check light

hi i have not long had 02 sti bugeye(about 3 weeks) and today i started car to come home from work and yellow picture of engine light come on . never happened on other scooby i owned so am a bit worried.the car has done 64,000, fsh,and i have not thrashed it.is there anything i should check and should i still drive it,i only work 2 mins away. any help please thanks.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2008, 06:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bpm
Cool Scooby

Re: engine check light

Hi, I had the same issue with my Bug eye 2002 WRX (none STI) . I took a tip to check the petrol cap, I hadnt shut it correctly or in line as it should be. So in the garage away from the elements I opened it and closed it until it clicked 3 times, restarted and it had gone. Well it worked for me, I have read a good few articles about the possible link between the engine light and petrol level/cap. I hope this maybe of some help, would be interesting for you to let us know the outcome. Fingers crossed for you mate,

Ben.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

thanks for the idea mate but no luck this time,i tried it and still on.does anyone know where i could take the car to be checked other than main dealer,i am in birmingham.can i still drive it.? thanks
Old 26 Sep 2008, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

got up this morning drove to work (still on)come out at dinner time and its gone off.does this mean its ok now or its a on off problem.or has ecu sorted it out?????? any help please
Old 27 Sep 2008, 04:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccarl View Post
got up this morning drove to work (still on)come out at dinner time and its gone off.does this mean its ok now or its a on off problem.or has ecu sorted it out?????? any help please
could be an interminent problem sould hook up a diagnosic test to find the fault or you can do this manually aswell but counting the flashes on instrument cluster.................
Old 27 Sep 2008, 06:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
could be an interminent problem sould hook up a diagnosic test to find the fault or you can do this manually aswell but counting the flashes on instrument cluster.................
Unfortunately don't think diagnostic test can't be done manually on new age the same way it is on classics.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Unfortunately don't think diagnostic test can't be done manually on new age the same way it is on classics.[/QUOTE]

we lucky so that we can check ours manually if we ever need to why didnt they do it with the new age i wonder
Old 28 Sep 2008, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hello,

I've also got a 2002 bugeye, but its a wrx. I had terrible trouble with my engine management light coming on and off. I went through all sorts to find out what it was. I tried the petrol Cap thing, thought my MAF sensor was gone I even got that paranoid that I though it could be the supermarket petrol I sometimes used. Anyway I had it plugged in and because I potched with everything it came up with allsorts - Maf Sensor, misfires but most importantly the Cam sensor!... All this time it was the bloody Cam Sensor. I've changed the senor had the ecu history cleared and hey presto no more light. The moral of the story.. Just get it plugged in even if the light has gone out because the problem stores in the memory. I also found that after 3 starts the light would go out.. but the problem was still there!!..

Cheers..
Old 01 Oct 2008, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

cam sensor, maf, coilpacks all common at your kind of mileage, i had a 02 bugeye and bought mesen a reader paid for itself quite quick. funny it always seems to be the bugeye that suffers from these?? easy to test your mass air flow just unplug while running if it cuts the engine the maf is fine.
Old 01 Oct 2008, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Young Scooby

has stayed off but i think i should get it diagnosed at scooby garage.but wot if it has a few in ecu memory how do u know its the last reason for light coming on that last time or dont it work like that,sorry if i sound stupid but not had experiance of these faults before,thanks
Old 01 Oct 2008, 10:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

yeah it will store codes so if theres a few then they will have to clear all and wait for it to through a light again.... where are you i have a fault reader
Old 04 Oct 2008, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
Young Scooby

im in birmingham mate wot about you?
Old 10 Oct 2008, 01:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiimpreza1984 View Post
My check engine light has come on from i have took speedo clock out 2 put mph sticker on for mot now it is only reving up 2 4500revs,i have took the clocks back out checked the speedo cable & it seems 2 be ok but still check engine light is still on & is still cuttin out at 4500revs...plz cud some1 help.
Old 10 Oct 2008, 01:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

My check engine light has come on from i have took speedo clock out 2 put mph sticker on for mot now it is only reving up 2 4500revs,i have took the clocks back out checked the speedo cable & it seems 2 be ok but still check engine light is still on & is still cuttin out at 4500revs...plz cud some1 help.[/QUOTE]

For the clocks are the connections loose by any chance and as with the reving up to only 4500rpm could be a camshaft sensor hence why it trowing up an engine check light..................... maybe reset ecu first cause maybe what you done trigered the engine light then if the light comes back on could be the camshaft sensor........................