Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

handbrake operation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Sep 2008, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

handbrake operation

guys when i apply the handbrake on a slight incline/slope and then take my foot off the foot brake, the car rolls a teeny bit. is this normal?? once the small movement is made the car stops dead
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2008, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Re: handbrake operation

Mine doesn't roll as it were, but on a hill it feels like its 'settling' after taking my foot off the brake if that makes sense which i think is normal. It's happened in every car I've owned.
Old 24 Sep 2008, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

is your hanbrake up to the highest it can go????
Old 25 Sep 2008, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

the lever comes pretty high compared to other cars i have had, but its not topped out, the parking brake works fine in that respect, it just does a little 1/16 of a turn of the road wheels before it stops, thats what it feels like anyhow
Old 26 Sep 2008, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

The handbrake should come up no more than 5 notches, if it is might be worth having it checked.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

as wayne said no more than 5clicks if so adjust the cable...........
Old 26 Sep 2008, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave

Would be suprised if cable needs adjusting at all as whats changed from new on the cable-may have streched a minute amount possibly but not that noticeable.

If ya jack the car up(dont know how mechanically minded you are or even if later cars are the same set up)theres an oblong rubber bung that pushes through the backplate behind the rear wheels-pull this out usind blade ended screwdriver/pliers whatever theyre sometimes tight, this leaves a hole into if ya like the rear drum on inside of disc where the handbrake shoes are where the adjuster is, if you`ve got a mini maglite or simular you will need it to see anything, then with the blade ended screwdriver can take the play up created by wear on the shoes by altering the toothed nut thing on the adjuster one way or the other pretty sure it clicks each time ya move it-bin a long while since i needed to adjust mine.

(if anyone uses this advice dont adjust em up too tight to the point where theyre rubbing constantly-lol you will know by the temp of the wheel/drag and smell/lack of performance pmsl)

like i say above is based on a classic scooby, last time i changed my discs thought about handbrake shoes but when i took the disc off were fine so just adjusted em.

If not one to mess about with cars pop it back to the dealers if it really is that much of an issue-mines like waynes hardly noticeable really.
Old 26 Sep 2008, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i wouldnt have thought there was a wear issue as the car has only done less than 4000 miles, its going in wednesday to have the air con fixed i'll ask then, cheers guys
Old 01 Oct 2008, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

quick update, the car went in yesterday to have its air con fixed ( corroded electrical connector ) and i was given a new impreza ( hatch ) as a courtesy car, yes it was a non turbo 2.0L model, but when i hauled up on the same hill, and took my foot off the brake the same thing happened, the car moved a teeny amount. so i will write this one off as a feature not a fault

cheers for your advice guys
Old 01 Oct 2008, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by raatman View Post
quick update, the car went in yesterday to have its air con fixed ( corroded electrical connector ) and i was given a new impreza ( hatch ) as a courtesy car, yes it was a non turbo 2.0L model, but when i hauled up on the same hill, and took my foot off the brake the same thing happened, the car moved a teeny amount. so i will write this one off as a feature not a fault

cheers for your advice guys

Least your happy so