Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

2.0 Non Turbo running lumpy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2008, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

2.0 Non Turbo running lumpy?

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping someone out there can help, i've sent a few posts around here regarding several problems which have all been sorted now so cheers for that.

Although i can't seem to stop my engine running lumpy, it ticks over at 500rpm which i think is quite low but i assume it's an impreza thing??

Also when i'm cruising around say 40MPH in 4th the engine will suddenly die for a split second - almost like a plug or lead is faulty, i have bought all new plugs, leads and done a full service on the car but it's still the same, when i floor it it opens up fine and runs smoothly gulping it's juice on the way haha

which is another thing actually, it's doing just under 200 miles on a full tank which i think is a 40 litre tank - it is a non turbo afterall - is this normal and could it be connected to the lumpy engine syndrome??

I would greatly appreciate any feedback

Guisey
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: 2.0 Non Turbo running lumpy?

Hi their, imprezas normally idle low anyway you think they would die cause they idle so low but id check the gaps in the plugs for the problem with the engine dying and did you change the fuel filter??????????
Old 11 Sep 2008, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

also check the air filter as well,running rich?. yes mine idles about the same I also have a 2 litre sport,50 litre fuel tank and get 300miles+ but its bog standard with no mods to give you an idea what to expect.
Old 11 Sep 2008, 08:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks guys,

I have checked the air filter, which seems ok although it is just a stardard halfords one - perhaps it would benefit from a more breathable performance one.

The fuel filter is sat pretty looking all shiny and new, i've not had the car so long and it does look like it has recently been changed - i'll check it though - I would never have thought to check that.

Cheers Darren, i assume my GL is a very similar spec to yours just without the body styling etc.

I'll play around with the gaps on my plugs if all else fails.

Thanks again

Guisey
Old 11 Sep 2008, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

i would check the coil pack or distributor aswell

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 11 Sep 2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 19 Sep 2008, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I adjusted the Gaps from 0.7mm to 1mm, but yet still facing this problem, one thing i notice is a hiss coming from the left side of the engine underneath the inlet manifold, this is heard on tickover but when i slightly accelerate it gets louder - i've pulled the pipes off and checked those so i now face the question of... Is it an air leak? or is there a hiss of somekind anyway powering something important?

I've been advised to spray some oil around the area to see if it quietens down but other than that i assume it must be a gasket on the inlet???

Cars...... Who'd av um!