Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

impreza wrx manual boost controller gains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2008, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

impreza wrx manual boost controller gains

Hi all ive just installed a manual boost controller to my 93 impreza wrx and im now seeing some great gains from it so im offering support to all you who need some help installing or trouble shooting with this kind of product .
to give an example of my gains before controller it was boosting at 1bar or 14 psi but now running at 18 psi which is around 1.3/1.4 bar (please dont attempt to run your stock ecu and turbo at these pressures as it will cause damage upgrade them first as i have ie version 4 ecu uprated fuel pump etc) but believe me when i say its a totally different car it spools the turbo much quicker and also gets you up the gears a whole lot easier well thats all for now so if i can help please give me a nudge
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Aug 2008, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: impreza wrx manual boost controller gains

Yeah a manual boost controller also works well on the bugeye range. Up to 1.1 bar. Spool up is amazing

Of course now with the open source mapping tools, the GDA range can be mapping by just about anyone.
Old 01 Nov 2009, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hi there , ive just bought a manuall boost controller, i have a 93 wrx import , could you explain how to install the boost controller , as i havent a clue, it would help me out alot , thanks for your time , vic: confused:
Old 02 Nov 2009, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx123 View Post
hi there , ive just bought a manuall boost controller, i have a 93 wrx import , could you explain how to install the boost controller , as i havent a clue, it would help me out alot , thanks for your time , vic: confused:
This link should help with the install.

Link: subaru-offroad: How to install manual boost controller

Old 02 Nov 2009, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

I wouldn;t bother with one if you paid me, doing this takes no account of extra fuel or ignition timing. basicly its a way to blow up your engine extreamly easily.

Don't bother, if your gonna raise the boost get it mapped properly
Old 02 Nov 2009, 05:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to woodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
I wouldn;t bother with one if you paid me, doing this takes no account of extra fuel or ignition timing. basicly its a way to blow up your engine extreamly easily.

i agree 100%
my old one had one fitted when i bought it, ended up replacing engine.....
remap is the way to go.
Old 02 Nov 2009, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post

Totally agree to waste of money
Old 02 Nov 2009, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

Agree with all above.....there is no need for a manual boost controller on any V1-V2 Classic or Bugeye. They all have a 3D boost mapping and wastegate duty tables on the ECU, and V1-V2 scoobs have a perfectly good 3-port Electronic Boost Control Solenoid for accurate boost. If you want more power get a bigger turbo, bigger injectors and an uprated MAP sensor from a V3-V4 classic. I remapped one just the other day with these same mods+FMIC and K&N Induction. I was mighty impressed by the end result and so was my customer!!

To make more power even from a standard car and boosting at 1.0bar all you need is a Z4 ECU (260bhp) if you really don't want a remap, however the best way forward for V1-V2 cars is an ESL 'Live' remap.

Overboosting too much via a manual boost controller will not only turn your Turbo into a fire breather but will lean out your AFR's so far it will det it's ar5e off!! Your ECU can only retard timing and richen AFR's so much when it senses knock, even if it reduces IAM to less than 7 you can still kill the motor as many unsuspecting classic scooby owners do!!

Taking a shortcut with a manual boost controller will eventually end up in tears!!
Old 09 Nov 2009, 10:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

dont fit one of these, do it properly, this is a sure way of melting your pistons! seen it done many times, some people never learn!
Old 22 Nov 2009, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi i have a 93 wrx import it has chipped ecu de-cat 3 1/2" s/ steel and air filter but it seems to only run 14psi and takes forever to hit full boost(4000+rpm) which i think is putting more strain on the engine. any help pls??????
Old 22 Nov 2009, 11:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

You need a proper remap. ESL is highly recommended for V1 or V2 Classics. Chipping your ECU is not recommended as it is just a generic map on the chip that is pretty rough and not specific to your car or it's mods.

I did one a few weeks ago that had a chip. Removed the chip, replaced it with the daughterboard and a few hours later it was running smooth as silk and pulling like a train without any det in sight.

14psi isn't a lot and not much more than standard. It's not even one bar so the fact it's not up to full boost a bit earlier is a worry. Small turbo's come on song nice and early. Any TD04 or TD05 should be hitting at least 1 bar by 3000-3500 rpm with any uprated mapping so it sounds like the map isn't right. It could also be a host of other things as well so without looking at your car it's difficult to tell what's what. Could a leak from the uppipe, could be boost pipes leaking, dodgy BOV etc etc...
Old 09 Sep 2010, 04:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Would agree...mine had a super chip fitted to it....all this does is trick the ecu into thinking that there is less boost and keeps the waste gate closed...but this has various knock on effects....most noticably takes ages to hit boost and then had a dipp..flat spot around 5k...had it removed and remaped by race dynamics...best 350 pound ive ever spent....will only make .9 boost but it gets there about 2200 rpm and holds it all the way up to 6200....if i fit a 3 port boost solenoid it should up it to about 1.1Bar....And total peace of mind of a 3d map to see whats going on....
Old 09 Sep 2010, 05:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy View Post
Would agree...mine had a super chip fitted to it....all this does is trick the ecu into thinking that there is less boost and keeps the waste gate closed...but this has various knock on effects....most noticably takes ages to hit boost and then had a dipp..flat spot around 5k...had it removed and remaped by race dynamics...best 350 pound ive ever spent....will only make .9 boost but it gets there about 2200 rpm and holds it all the way up to 6200....if i fit a 3 port boost solenoid it should up it to about 1.1Bar....And total peace of mind of a 3d map to see whats going on....
what year model car is it? don't need a 3 port to hit 1.1 bar?

mine was set to 1.25 then dropped to 1.1 on a standard 2 port (when still on the td04)

havn't got the graph of boost scanned in though, power graph

Old 09 Sep 2010, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

christ that was 2005

mine now with a vf34, although also switched to autronics ecu

Old 09 Sep 2010, 05:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

LOL raising your boost without extra fuel = detonation, when mine went it was cracked pistons, so full re build but carry on of course.