Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

power loss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jul 2008, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy power loss

Hi im new to scoobys, turbo cars and this site and was hoping someone could please help.
I've got a 97 uk impreza turbo and about a week ago the car felt like it was pulling back slightly just before the turbo kicked in, the turbo would then kick in but didnt seem like it was boosting very well.
The next day i cleaned the boost solenoid, and pipes and checked for fault codes (none there), i did find a pipe that goes into the turbo (think from airbox) had a gap init, so i attached it properly.
Over the next couple of days the car did'nt seem to pull back but the turbo had even less of a kick to it.
So i fitted a boost gauge and the car is boosting 11 psi, which leads me to believe there is a fueling problem.
I reset the ecu and no change in power, it seems to idle fine and drive well but when i put my foot down it does'nt do what a scoobys suppose to do.
Could it be the fuel pump?
What are the other possibilites?
Any help would be excellent
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2008, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Re: power loss

hows it going i would check the fuel filter first and then if that fails i would change the mass air-flow sensor cancel out the small things first you proberbly find sumting small thats the problem
Old 01 Aug 2008, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

The car seems worse today, it seems to hesitate when pulling off in 1st and when i go over 2500 revs it pulls back before it goes
i'll try to get a fuel filter 2mor/2day and a change of spark plugs
As for the maf i was reading from other posts (i dont no if this is true) if you disconnect it and the car stalls then the maf is doing its job. I did this earlier and car did stall although do you know if this is correct?
thanks for the ideas hopefully its one of them
Old 02 Aug 2008, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

Right fitted new spark plugs this morning (no change)
Then i was unplugging connectors (not sure why) and found that on the boost solenoid, one of the pins inside had green **** on it and one pin was bent to the side so not connected
I bent pin back and scratched green stuff off, connected back up and then reset ecu, drove for acouple of mins, then turned off the car.
I tryed to start acouple of mins later and engine was idling under 500 revs and would then cut out (engine check light came on)
I now have fault code 44 Turbocharging Pressure Control Signal
Does anyone know what this means?
Old 02 Aug 2008, 04:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby

Send a message via MSN to SilverStreak Send a message via Yahoo to SilverStreak

Have a look at the link below. This gives a good detailed description of your problem.

Turbocharger control system for use in internal combustion engines - Patent # 4424675 - PatentGenius

Hope this helps.

Scotty.
Old 02 Aug 2008, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

Thanks for the info, i will check out the sensor on the intake manifold 2mor
(hopefully its easy to find)
Old 03 Aug 2008, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

Today i took off connecter for boost solenoid and sanded the terminals down, now the engine check light has gone out and car drives better now.
The only thing is it still feels like theres no turbo kicking in, the boost gauge reads 11psi and the dump valve is dumping but no turbo kick.
Im confused, could a faulty dump valve cause this?
Oh yeah, i've read on a lot of posts about waste gate chatter, im new to turbo cars and am not sure if i should be able to hear what ever sound the waste gate makes
Should i be able to hear the waste gate?
Could a faulty waste gate cause the turbo not to kick?
Old 04 Aug 2008, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

Today i have checked the actuator which does have a circlip on as rubbish as it looks it seems to be doing its job. I also gave the actuator arm a tug to see if the waste gate was moving freely, which it seems to be.
Im not sure where i go from here
When the intercooler was removed i did find an earth wire, it was connected to a bolt on the chasis just behind intercooler, but the other end was not connected to anything, i suspect it was connected to what i think is the gearbox.
I suspect this as what i assume is the end of the cable is still stuck behind the nut/bolt on the gearbox (i think its the gearbox)
Sorry im not sure what some parts are, why do they not make a haynes manual for it
Does anybody know if this wire is supposed to be there?
If so what does it do?
Sorry i know the info is abit vague but any ideas would be great
I will continue to try upload a pic as not sure how to do it
As for the boost problem im not sure where to go next
I will try to change the fuel filter tomor
Old 05 Aug 2008, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

I've now checked the actuator which does have a circlip on as rubbish as it looks it seems to be doing its job. I also gave the actuator arm a tug to see if the waste gate was moving freely, which it seems to be.
Im not sure where i go from here
When the intercooler was removed i did find an earth wire, it was connected to a bolt on the chasis just behind intercooler, but it was not connected to anything, i suspect it was connected to what i think is the gearbox.
I suspect this as what i assume is the end of the cable is still stuck behind the nut in the gearbox (i think its the gearbox)
Sorry im not sure what some parts are, why do they not make a haynes manual for it
Does anybody know if this wire is supposed to be there?
If so what does it do?
Sorry i know the info is abit vague but any ideas would be great
I will continue to try upload a pic as not sure how to do it
As for the boost prolem im not sure where to go next, so having a mechanic look at it tomorrow, hopefully he can pin point the problem as the car pulls like a vauxhall cavilier
Old 07 Aug 2008, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

Hi, had the car looked at and the problem is the actuator is weak so will get a new one after i've had the rocker gaskets done
Old 08 Aug 2008, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Mine seems to only boost to 0.5 bar , ive noticed that when i take it onto the ring road or clear motorway , in 5th gear foot down lettin the boost build, full boost will eventually come back. i dno why this is but it is, bit annoyin at times cos sometimes the lost boost doesnt come back at all, until the next time i jump into the car n sometimes not even then :S
Old 09 Aug 2008, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
PJF
Fresh Scooby

It is abit of a ****er when you have a car that you know should kick when you put your foot down but does'nt.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

yeah mate tell me about it, im still google'ing for answers. its only recently that its been doing this.
i know ive been lookin for a run around car cos driving the sub everyday is kinda hectic on the wallet, but i wasnt expecting this to happen!
i kinda suspect the shell petrol stations too - maybe they aint being totally honest about their v-power..
or maybe thats just me being a bit too paranoid?!
either way, its a bitch, checked all hoses pipes etc,. nothing wrong.
put the standard recirc d/v on too, nothing , gna put the standard airbox back on to c if that sorts anything out. that or sell the feckin car if it doesnt get better :S
Old 19 Aug 2008, 09:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stheght1 View Post
Mine seems to only boost to 0.5 bar , ive noticed that when i take it onto the ring road or clear motorway , in 5th gear foot down lettin the boost build, full boost will eventually come back. i dno why this is but it is, bit annoyin at times cos sometimes the lost boost doesnt come back at all, until the next time i jump into the car n sometimes not even then :S
check when you r power is down that the waste gate solenoid is ticking just touch the trottle from under the bonnet and you should feel it tick
Old 21 Aug 2008, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

help with psi limits

hi all can anyone advise only in psi (sorry) what kind of pressure my beloved should be running its a 93 wrx import wagon standard air box full stainless with a version 4 ecu uprated fuel pump and manual boost controller dont seem to be getting anywhere with the old google searching thanks all
jon