Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

check light + probelmsssss

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2008, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

check light + probelmsssss

Last night was driving along a19 and check engine light came on solid...so i pulled up checked u nder engine couldnt see nothing obvious,turned off car and back on and light went off...all ok...driving today and light came back on...i had stopped for a bit with engine off...when i went to start the car it struggled to start and started hunting the revs from 250rpm upwards and back down again with check engine light on...drove away home ok...now it starts ok but the revs go crazy from 250rpm-500-750-1k and back down,but the car wont drive,it farts and stutters as im trying to drive it now...very confused...help please!!its a 97 classic wrx gold by the way!

here is a vid of what is happening you can hear tr revs going crazy..and also the check light has gone off now..

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=MOV00333.flv

please helpppp
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 11:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Would have a guess at the maf sensor,though the early ones are expensive new about 250 i think.

If the wrx`s are same as the uk`s ya should be able to manually read the fault code though.

Scroll down to manually reading fault codes classic impreza here http://www.scoobypedia.co.uk/index.p...gECUCodes#toc3
Old 29 May 2008, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

As Dave says, probably the MAF sensor. Mine did the same thing when it went.

If it is the MAF, fault code will be 23. Some people have had luck giving the MAF a clean with break cleaner, so might be worth giving that a go if it does turn out to be the MAF.
Old 29 May 2008, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for replys.....had a feeling about that..gave it a clean..no joy....but im thinking it is that,so im going to get another one...anyone have one for sale?
Old 30 May 2008, 03:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Make sure it is the MAF befoer you buy one, they are pricey. Have you run a diagnostic

There is an easy test you can do yourself:
With the engine running unplug the MAF sensor. If the MAF is working OK the engine will stop pretty promptly. If the MAF is shot the engine will continue to run.
Old 30 May 2008, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi, i would suggest you get the car diagnosed before u do anything else. i would assume its your MAP sensor (manifold absolute pressure sensor) that is going nuts. so have it checked. The error code for pressure sensor is 45. jus b gentle on the throttle in the mean while or you could cause some serious damage. gd luck
Old 30 May 2008, 03:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i tested my mates MAF sensor on my car and it is perfect,so culprit is MAF sensor,just trying to source one now.....not an easy task!
Old 30 May 2008, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Thought it would be mate-just wise to make sure at that price

Only about 80 for 99/00 classics-just we tend to need em more often

Dont know where youre at but think me mate got a 2nd hand one from scoobybits at rotherham http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/shop.htm

Short of that if ya dont mind the expense(though i`d still check subaru`s price first) http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...cat=68&sub=334

Last edited by uk dave; 30 May 2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 30 May 2008, 05:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Thought it would be mate-just wise to make sure at that price

Only about 80 for 99/00 classics-just we tend to need em more often

Dont know where youre at but think me mate got a 2nd hand one from scoobybits at rotherham http://www.scoobybits.co.uk/shop.htm

Short of that if ya dont mind the expense(though i`d still check subaru`s price first) http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...cat=68&sub=334
it sounds like stu is up here in the north east mate so it could be worth giving alyn (stockcar on here) a shout
Old 30 May 2008, 09:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

I have exactly the same problem (maf) so i rung the local dealer and he quoted me 241.78p + vat i very nearly soiled myself when he told me. Still got to find one so will try scooby bits cheers dave
Old 30 May 2008, 10:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom73 View Post
it sounds like stu is up here in the north east mate so it could be worth giving alyn (stockcar on here) a shout
certianly am mate,from middlesbrough,and my mate rang alyn,he didnt have any 2nd hand ones could only order new ones at about 225ish..ive found a few on ebay for decentish prices...need one asap though,cant be waiting about as i need car
Old 31 May 2008, 02:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydumpvalve View Post
I have exactly the same problem (maf) so i rung the local dealer and he quoted me 241.78p + vat i very nearly soiled myself when he told me. Still got to find one so will try scooby bits cheers dave
Thats about right for Subaru. Mine cost 250.00 fitted (50,000 yen). That makes the MAF itself about 47,000 yen since the labour was only 3000.
Old 31 May 2008, 02:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuuyh View Post
certianly am mate,from middlesbrough,and my mate rang alyn,he didnt have any 2nd hand ones could only order new ones at about 225ish..ive found a few on ebay for decentish prices...need one asap though,cant be waiting about as i need car

this place might be worth trying mate

http://www.glenburgie-subaru.co.uk/index.htm
or this one
http://www.gradea-subaru.co.uk/

Last edited by tom73; 31 May 2008 at 02:47 AM.
Old 31 May 2008, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Young Scooby

dont know if they can help but try scoobyworld,looked at their website recently and they were doing a maf sensors for about 90 if not central subaru in wolverhampton worth a try as well.
Old 31 May 2008, 06:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
dont know if they can help but try scoobyworld,looked at their website recently and they were doing a maf sensors for about 90 if not central subaru in wolverhampton worth a try as well.
that will be for the new type though,mine was the old type the orange label...ive got one now...fitted it and car is back to running perfect!thnaks for your help