Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

De cat centre section Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Apr 2008, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

De cat centre section Help

Hi there
Can anyone tell me if a de cat center section will still pass an mot and is it worth putting on?

It's an afterburner center section i haven't fitted yet due to lack of time but wanna check to see if it still passes mot and all that hooha.

Already have the back box on my 95wrx.any help appreciated

Wayne.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 09:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
as long as your car still has one cat in its exhaust then you will pass m8, depending on emissions - which should pass no probs.

The classic impreza's only have one cat anyway and thats in the downpipe just after the turbo. Its not until the later models came out with OBD2 ecu's that they came with the second cat.

If you already have a decatted downpipe then that may be a prob.

Mine is a 97 uk spec with a blitz nur spec and thats from the downpipe back. The exhaust replaced the centre section with a straight through pipe and backbox.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ok wicked mate.
no i haven't done the down pipe thats as the norm..so no cat in the center section is it worth changing or not is the question???dont sound like im likely to gain anything from changing it other than a stainless center section lol.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 10:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders52 View Post
The classic impreza's only have one cat anyway and thats in the downpipe just after the turbo. Its not until the later models came out with OBD2 ecu's that they came with the second cat.
Trust me mate they had 2 (uk`s anyway)the centre section one being the less restrictive of the 2 and the most common one to be removed-mine had been removed when i bought it though to be fair even without it wouldnt call the car really responsive-werent till the downpipe were changed for decat that the car felt how it should-the problem "i believe" with the later cars is theres another sensor further down the exhaust that when decatted brings the cel on, though celfix`s are available to cure the light/faultcode if ya like.

Decat centre section 1993-2000 classic here http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...products_id=77
Old 13 Apr 2008, 11:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

mines an import wrx....so dont think im gonna bother then to be honest!

saves an afternoon crawling around under the car and taking the skin off the o'l knuckles i guess lol.

cheers fellas.
Old 13 Apr 2008, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
well mine had a rusted to crap centre section (long centre box with baffles inside it) before i ripped the lot out and changed it with the nur spec, so im guessing that there must be some differences with the cars of that era.