Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Handling issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2008, 12:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Handling issues

Hi all, I'm new to this joint. I've had my MY99 Impreza Turbo wagon for 10 months, bought from a main dealer, and until recently no problems. It's developed a restlessness, almost like a tugging, in the steering wheel which is most noticeable between about 20-60mph, which is annoying. More worrying is that the handling has become downright scary when attacking bends at speed. It's as if the car doesn't want to go in the direction I'm pointing it. Even on a straight piece of road it has a tendency to wander. I've had it checked by a local garage and they can't find anything amiss, the tracking is spot on, and the wheels have just been balanced. Since the problem started I've changed the back tyres from Continentals to Toyo Proxes T1-Rs. The fronts are still Continentals, legal, but past their best. Anyone any suggestions?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2008, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

might be worth trying the front tyres.

did the problem suddenly come in or was it a gradual getting worse?

have you changed anything ele?
Old 28 Feb 2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

It's gradually got more noticeable. I thought maybe a diff or a driveshaft problem, my local garage didn't think so, the guy who's been servicing my cars for years test drove it and the tyres was the only suggestion he could come up with.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Could be one of ya front brakes hanging on/knackered front strut/coilover/whatever,just guessing i`d just work my way through suspension/steering components an take it from there.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 11:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Like I said, the garage couldn't find anythimg amiss, and they've had it up on a ramp, checked everything front and back. I'll be putting a pair of Proxes on the front when pay day arrives, just have to take it from there on a trial and error basis. Cheers for the replies all.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 08:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Even on a straight piece of road it has a tendency to wander
You said your local garage found the tracking is spot on. The only other thing I can think of is your front suspension setup is out. (toe & camber alignment).

Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks, I'll give that a try as well. Like I said, it'll just have to be trial and error. I don't remember hitting any big potholes, but maybe something's got knocked out of place. Bit of a pain, the weekend beckons and I won't even be able to go for a thrash.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
If your struggling take your car somewhere else,1 place`s opinion isnt always enough to convince me.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Splendid news. New Proxes on the front and all is well again. Apparently it was just an out of shape tyre. Amazing what a catastrophic effect a bit of bent rubber can have.