Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

HELP any ideas why changing into 5 th is a bit noisey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Feb 2008, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

HELP any ideas why changing into 5 th is a bit noisey

hi just looking to see if anyone would know why when i change into 5 th gear at speeds over 50mph it makes a " bit of a noise " not a real crunch just not very smooth almost like if you had not pressed the clucth down enough. i have been told that changing the gearbox oil could sort this problem, but just want to know if anyone has any ideas as i dont want to change the oil and still have the problem and have to buy or new oil again when i have the gear box sorted out please any help i would be most greatful
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2008, 10:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Sounds like your syncros on its way out had it on mine an it started like that-ya may get away with it for a while if ya change to castrol syntrax/driveline semi synthetic gear oil but theres no guarantees.
Old 07 Feb 2008, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

get my oil from opie generally http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-744-cast...-gear-oil.aspx
Old 07 Feb 2008, 11:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the replys if it were the syncros is this alot of money to put right cheers
Old 08 Feb 2008, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Depends i were a bit naive with imprezas as everyone is at some point an i left it-the thing is the more awkward it gets to get in gear the more pressure you put on it.
I tried to put it off for ages untill it got to a point where above 2000 revs when i let my clutch pedal up all you`d get were a grinding sound so out of 4th had to put clutch in hold down till about 1500 revs then let clutch up and it would select 5th however then started dropping out of gear so eventually got it done along with new clutch/lightened flywheel were about 1300 for the lot inc labour, but there were parts needed that wouldnt have been if i`d took it in earlier, just didnt have any spare cash/spare car at the time.
Old 12 Feb 2008, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

iirc mate has his syncros done and the were oughly 70 each, however, the box had to be stripped down and rebuilt so it aint cheap.

best bet might be to get a recon'd gearbox fitted
Old 12 Feb 2008, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
iirc mate has his syncros done and the were oughly 70 each, however, the box had to be stripped down and rebuilt so it aint cheap.

best bet might be to get a recon'd gearbox fitted
Trouble is tidgy a recon anything aint a brand new box/engine its just basically the parts replaced that it were exchanged in for in the first place so say 2nd gear syncro were gone when it went in for instance that would be replaced then the box would generally have a quick check over and if the wear on other components isnt considered too bad will be ready for sale/exchange usually the warrantys only 12,000 mile tops.(lets face it youve no idea how many miles the exchange box has done??)

Unless i were selling the car i`d always have my existing engine or box rebuilt-ya know where ya are then, as opposed to inheriting someone elses problems, like i say unless i didnt intend keeping the car long-then its more likely the cheaper option.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hello mate dont know if you got it sorted, but I have just had the same problem. Mine was grinding when you changed into fifth when ever the rev range was higher than 4000 revs, I took it to the garage and I was told the syncro on fifth gear had gone. The subaru dealer said apparently it has had a few impreza's in with this fault!! The bill to repair it was around the 1000 mark and required a new fifth gear and syncro (so I believe). hope this can be of some help to you
Old 03 Mar 2008, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Trouble is tidgy a recon anything aint a brand new box/engine its just basically the parts replaced that it were exchanged in for in the first place so say 2nd gear syncro were gone when it went in for instance that would be replaced then the box would generally have a quick check over and if the wear on other components isnt considered too bad will be ready for sale/exchange usually the warrantys only 12,000 mile tops.(lets face it youve no idea how many miles the exchange box has done??)

Unless i were selling the car i`d always have my existing engine or box rebuilt-ya know where ya are then, as opposed to inheriting someone elses problems, like i say unless i didnt intend keeping the car long-then its more likely the cheaper option.
as long as you go to a reputable place you should be fine, rebuilt and recon'd are normaly the same thing.

somewhere like API or Scoobyclinic etc will do a good job and be almost as good as new.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 07:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: HELP any ideas why changing into 5 th is a bit noisey

Hi all,

I owe a STi RA version 5, for Tarmac rally in Mauritius

Mine is a different problem with the 5th gear, The spacer fit on the syncro bearing blown out and a piece of it goes under the selector of 1st or 2nd Gear and you cannot engage the gear. I just have the problem 3 month back and again yesterday.

Any help, most welcome

Thanks

Robert
Old 16 Sep 2008, 04:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy at 10 View Post
hi just looking to see if anyone would know why when i change into 5 th gear at speeds over 50mph it makes a " bit of a noise " not a real crunch just not very smooth almost like if you had not pressed the clucth down enough. i have been told that changing the gearbox oil could sort this problem, but just want to know if anyone has any ideas as i dont want to change the oil and still have the problem and have to buy or new oil again when i have the gear box sorted out please any help i would be most greatful
i own a sti v6 type ra my 5th gear can be a very slight bit hard to get into sometimes, they no crunching at all and i changed the oil with subaru genuine gearbox oil and it still their very slight no noise with mine, they known for these problems but maybe your gearbox low in oil check that first cause might be the problem but id douth it cause then they would be a problem with all gears and the gearbox would be whining. Say it the synchro

Last edited by stiimpreza1984; 16 Sep 2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertch View Post
Hi all,

I owe a STi RA version 5, for Tarmac rally in Mauritius

Mine is a different problem with the 5th gear, The spacer fit on the syncro bearing blown out and a piece of it goes under the selector of 1st or 2nd Gear and you cannot engage the gear. I just have the problem 3 month back and again yesterday.

Any help, most welcome

Thanks

Robert
looks like its needs to be stripped down it might not be to costly