Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

knock on rear passenger side

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2008, 01:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Angry knock on rear passenger side

Passenger Rear Clunking On Wrx
Hi everyone this is my first post here so please bear with me thanks, i recently bought a 98 wrx a minter however it has a real loud clunking/clicking when i turn right or left and the passenger rear feels like its jumping around all over the place. I replaced the oil in the diff today with motal 75-90 and had a go at every bolt in sight under the rear however the problem still remains. The car has 80000kms on the clock, has had a new centre prop fitted by the previous owner last month...When starting from cold it drives as it should and corners as it should, after about 15-20 mins it starts everytime i turn the wheel and seems to be affecting the rear passenger wheel, it is driving me crazy..... I have checked the struts they seem fine as do all the bushes etc.. Could my diff be gone??? PLEASE HELP... Has anyone one else had this problem and found a solution as subaru just say it is the norm and we have to live with it. Thanks guys and sorry its a bit of an essay for my first post..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Feb 2008, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

i had a similar problem on mine but found it was the rear shock absorber that had failed. one of the symptoms with mine was that when the passenger side rear hit a bump, it felt like you were being launched to the other side of the road accompanied by a loud bang
Old 03 Feb 2008, 10:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

How do you check the shocks properly as mine seemed fine yesterday on looking and pushing on them, thanks jim
Old 03 Feb 2008, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

mine felt fine when pushing down on it too. if it goosed it will have some play in the seals. we rocked the rear wheel on mine while it was on the ground and it was making a knocking sound similar to a worn joint which we knew it wasnt because they'd already been checked on mot
Old 04 Feb 2008, 01:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Ok today i set about my car again and replaced the rear diff with one out of my friends car his wife crashed a few months ago, and the problem has now gone hooooray!!! However when out on a test run for around 15 mins my new diff got really hot is this normal?? regards jim.
Old 04 Feb 2008, 07:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

not really does it have any oil in or the incorrect type??
Old 04 Feb 2008, 10:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
Is it the same ratio as your old one? Was the doner car the same model as yours?

Not sure how it works or if it will make a difference but its just something that popped into my head.