Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Ideas on a new exhaust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jan 2008, 12:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question Ideas on a new exhaust

Hello there.

i have a 98 STI version 4 import. someone has told me that being an import it only has 1 cat (on the down pipe)?? can anyone confirm this for me?

Also. it came with an after market back box only (i think) am looking to upgrade in the near future. can anyone recomend the best make to go for? also if i get a nother back box and a decat up pipe, will that be as good as a full system??? many thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0096.JPG (173.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by johntaboo; 19 Jan 2008 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Picture included
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2008, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
Well mine is a 97 UK turbo and only has one cat in the downpipe. well had

As far as i know its only the newage cars that have the second cat.
Old 19 Jan 2008, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Yes you only have a cat in the downpipe.

You really only need to change the up-pipe if you change your headers.

Are you after stealth or here I come from the exhaust

Afterburner Vortex is a good exhaust but very loud

If you are after something as bit more subtle then Hayward and Scott, they are very well known exhaust makers in the scooby ranks.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 19 Jan 2008, 11:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Nice back box the Hayward and Scott Classic original.

Old 19 Jan 2008, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
My magnex is a nice sound but not too loud, depends on what your after..........
Old 19 Jan 2008, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Afterburner is pretty cool and popular and likes already been said loudish-though not the loudest/ninja i thinks an excellent option if you want slightly more subtle and use the afterburner centre section with it-theres a box in the designated ninja centre section however the afterburner centre sections a straight through pipe Both are interchangeable so ya can get the ninja slightly louder.
If you want loud blitz nur spec or tsl firestorm.

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/trolleyed/8/22/index.htm
Old 20 Jan 2008, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanx for your help guys.

im looking for a sound thats loud scooby but not over the top (if you know what i mean)?

i'v heard the Magnex 5"jap style in good??

or if any of you live in south yorkshire? i'v thought about going to EXHAUST UK to geyt one made. lookin for some feed back from previous customers if thats ok??

cheers

Also. dont know if anyone can help, but. the one i have at the min has a branded mark called INOVITE or something like it. It came with the car and never heard of it. can anyone share some light on this brand??

Last edited by johntaboo; 20 Jan 2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 20 Jan 2008, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Depends what you want from an exhaust to be honest,i dont just buy an exhaust for the sound or the look it has to make a significant increase in power(as much as you can get from an exhaust anyway) or im not interested,lots of manufacturers make exhausts however theres vast differences in the increase in power they make.

Years ago when magnex the trade name for car exhausts of micron bike exhausts (Though both come under CLF technologies) first started doin car exhausts i sent off for performance details and on an rs turbo there were very little gain though it were a gain but not enough for me to buy one, some of the made up systems at the time (from places like exhausts uk) gave a loss in bhp over the std system-magnex and to an extent scorpion arent put together that great ive had a few mates with magnex downpipes on other cars crack daz with the astra vxr had a scorpion on his 106gti had countless systems replaced coz the baffles kept dropping to bits in the boxes.
I dont even go a bundle on milltek yet alot of ppl rave about em but to me theyre not finished great and trust me after buying a stainless 4 branch for a 106gti that wouldnt clear the oil filter on the front of the engine wouldnt buy another-their customer service sucked too-place i bought it from gave me their direct no and to be honest they didnt wanna know so went bk an swapped it for a supersprint another 100 but it did fit

Its like this for me places like exhausts uk are making an exhaust to fit your car that im pretty sure they wont be able to give exact performance gains on-i see em as more for satisfying the chavs with duplex systems and daft rear boxes for saxo`s corsas an the like for show cars that are "all show no go" that the owners couldnt care less if it improves the performance much so long as it looks bling-which to me is daft.

I`m old school and come from an era where yad generally got k+n for the air filters which at the time ya couldnt go wrong with then janspeed/peco/ashley/jetex/devil/remus/ansa-all different quality exhausts but all made good power gains, just make sure ya dont get carried away with buying either something cheap that dissapoints ya mate or doesnt last long-theres a lot of exhausts available today but its worth looking into performance gains/how well made they are before you buy.

I bought haywood and scotts afterburner for the difference it makes powerwise and the quality.

look here http://www.haywardandscott.com/case.asp
Old 01 Feb 2008, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Exhausts UK If your after a one off or custom system / backbox then these are your guys, mysely and a few mates have had work done by the them and the quality has been excellent, however if your after performance gains and a nice sound i wouldnt bother as they are not exactly performance orientated, hope helps, J
Old 01 Feb 2008, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Bez
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescoob View Post
Exhausts UK If your after a one off or custom system / backbox then these are your guys, mysely and a few mates have had work done by the them and the quality has been excellent, however if your after performance gains and a nice sound i wouldnt bother as they are not exactly performance orientated, hope helps, J
Hi unclescoob just the other week had a full De-cat and un-equal headers fitted to my 2.5 WRX to try and get that 2.0 sound. car sounds spot on now.(I think) power after a re map is up 290BHP @ 5600 and 370 lbf at 3200 it has got a larger top mount intercooler a induction kit but still std turbo. I dont think thats too bad. The Guys at UK Exhaust were spot on.