Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

cutting out at 4500 rpm HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Dec 2007, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy cutting out at 4500 rpm HELP

hi all got my car back frm the garage a week ago ran it in for 700 mile went to open it up a bit today but when i hit 4500 rpm the car would not go any further it kicked back it is as if i have run out of petrol checked the maf sensor car cuts out when unpluged no check engine light coming on i have done a search on here and it says it could be my connections are wet it has been heavy rain round here today and when i checked under the car my plastic cover is missing what protects the engine the car is running fine untill i put the pedal in to the carpet then it just kicks back its as if the engine is shutting down after i d this and i pull up the car dies i restart the car and everything is fine again all help please please please thanks

just worked out the code and its telling me code 23 maf sensor it was ok befre it went in to garage could it be they have left the cover off and its got wet ??? thanks again

Last edited by mick5410; 06 Dec 2007 at 09:03 PM. Reason: new code found
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Dec 2007, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
" maf sensor " seems to be a common fault mate, could have gone at any time, upto you to decide if garage is at fault or not.
Old 06 Dec 2007, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i am going to change the maf senson will i have to do a ecu reset as there is a code there or will it wipe itself clear after thanks
Old 07 Dec 2007, 06:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
not sure but think you will need to reset.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

yeah you'll ned to do a reset mate as the ecu will still store the fault in the memory even though its been rectified
Old 07 Dec 2007, 09:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

ok heres goes

first off, dont just reset and go

4.5k is the factory limp mode. it may just be a simple sensor glitch and a reset may sort it, or it may hide a fault.

best bet get it plugged in and find out the fault code and what it is and have it checked out, much safer in the long run
Old 07 Dec 2007, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
ok heres goes

first off, dont just reset and go

4.5k is the factory limp mode. it may just be a simple sensor glitch and a reset may sort it, or it may hide a fault.

best bet get it plugged in and find out the fault code and what it is and have it checked out, much safer in the long run

mick's found the fault code already mate. think what he was asking is wether he needs to do a reset after the maf has been replaced or if the ecu would right itself
Old 07 Dec 2007, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

oops my bad lol, yeah it will need a reset
Old 07 Dec 2007, 02:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
if you have unplugged the maf sensor then it will show a code 23 even though the sensor is plugged back in.
Old 07 Dec 2007, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi guys havnt changed maf yet but car was in garage overnight and with heaters on to dry engine bay out. took car out today and it did not do it, loads power everything perfect could it of been wet electrics or wet maf sensor as the garage did not put my plastic cover back on under the car and they was heavy rain yesterday???? im still waiting on price of parts from subaru
Old 07 Dec 2007, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

just got prices off subaru 80 quid ish for maf and 60 for the plastic undertray does anyone have one going begging or know where i culd get one cheap 60 quid for a bit of plastic
Old 07 Dec 2007, 07:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

sounds like a possibility mate. had a problem with mine when i took off the vent cover above the induction kit. it poured down overnight and it wouldn't rev the next morning if i put my foot down until the motor had warmed up and dried out
Old 07 Dec 2007, 07:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ive just tok a look at mine and i can see my induction kit through my vent is there supposed t be a cover there as well ??? or could i make my own shield fr it or would this affect it thanks also how do you fill the gearbx oil as i have checked the dipstick at the side of the turbo and it could do with topping up
Old 07 Dec 2007, 07:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

it should have had a blanking plate with a couple of holes in it to cover the inside of the bonnet vent. i took mine off before i had the problem. the other problem i have now is that i cant remember where i put it when i took it off so i've had to resort to blanking the vent off with gaffer tape.

afraid i aint too sure bout the gearbox oil
Old 07 Dec 2007, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well im going to blank mine off tomorrow as i can see my induction kit and then give her a full clean out and wash as some dirty greese monkey decided to sit in my seat without putting a cover over it and there is oil hand prints everywere all over the outside, dont suppose you know how much subaru charge for putting a new alarm key pad code in as i dont know mine or is there away you can do it or get it read to find it out thanks