Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Oil Fume ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Dec 2007, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oil Fume ?

Hi guys just i wud like to say great site i am a newbie the proud owner of a 2002 impreza wrx black yeehah. I need a bit of help i noticed a little smoke/fume coming out of the scoop today i opened the bonnet and it was comin from below the turbo exhaust it only happens after about 10 minutes and whilst stationery not much just barely noticeable but its irrating me now. Theres no power loss or blue smoke or anything like that i ve been told it may be the turbo oil pipe may have a leak HELP wud be appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Dec 2007, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Does sound like oil on the turbo/exhaust. You will need to have a look when cold and have a feel around for a damp patch (on the car ). Could be gearbox oil getting on the exhaust. I had this, it had been overfilled at service and was blowing out onto the exhaust through the dipstick hole.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 04 Dec 2007, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

might also be the rocker gasket, oil will be slightly leaking and then drip onto the hot exhaust (down pipe) and you'll get a puff of smoke.

wont be enough smoke to notice when moving along.

what part of the country are you in?
Old 04 Dec 2007, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Hi Mate,

Had the same problem it was down to the rocker cover gasket on the left hand side as you look under the hood.

So worth feeling along the lower edge of the rocker covers for oil.

It seems that when the car is stationery for 10 mins or so the heat then builds up on the top of the heat shield around the manifolds then any oil dripping on them causes smoke to come out of the side of the hood or from the air scoop.

If your going to DIY then its 30 for parts and 2 hours work mate to do both sides

Hope this helps

Derek
Old 04 Dec 2007, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

I am in coventry mate thanks for the help guys i rl have a look its just a bit scary when you see it you think the worst ive been itchin to get the right scooby for ages. I ve got this autoprotectwarranty on the car so i will get the garage to have a look at it look forward to better times lol
Old 04 Dec 2007, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

yeah mate, right thing to do. at first it can easily be repaired but after prolonged time like it more damage can be done, just check your oil levels everytime you go out in it just to make sure its not loosing to much, the top up as required.