Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Brake problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Nov 2007, 10:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Brake problems?

hey all

i've got a rather worrying problem with the right front of the car. i'm getting an intermittent wheel wobble which last week, caused the caliper to overheat and stick on totally. the garage i took it to couldn't find any problems with the brake caliper and just said to run it and see what happens . i dont think it's a warped disc or wheel balance problem as its intermittent. the only thing i can think of is possible bearing problem?

any ideas guys?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Nov 2007, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
Sonuds like overheating disks to me , had the same thing on my golf, one of the reasons i bought a scooby, buy some half decent disks and mintex pads then all will be well.
The stuck caliper could be because you are reaching your limit on disks or maybe just the heat from overheating disks caused it to lock and once cooled it's ok again.
My golf was ok when cold but after a few fast round-a-bouts the wheel wobble came back.
Old 22 Nov 2007, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

chers mate. sounds like it might be about right. i didnt think about the possibility of it being discs with them being sti discs, bet then again they are on their 2nd set of pads and prob done about 30k since i had them put on
Old 25 Nov 2007, 10:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

well its now lookin more like a bearing problem unfortunately. its startin to rumble from the same corner, even when cold. hopefully it hasnt turned in the hub and damaged it further
Old 26 Nov 2007, 08:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to jammychap
Well I hope the bearings are easy to do chap, had a real nightmare on my old cav gsi, had to remove the front suspension and put it in a vice at work then the engineers machined a lump of ally to knock the inner bearing out using a sledgehammer pmsl....................
Old 27 Nov 2007, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammychap View Post
Well I hope the bearings are easy to do chap, had a real nightmare on my old cav gsi, had to remove the front suspension and put it in a vice at work then the engineers machined a lump of ally to knock the inner bearing out using a sledgehammer pmsl....................

had a word with stockcar and he reckons it shouldnt be too bad if its just the bearing. the problem comes if the bearing has started to wear away the hub assembly