Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

High Fuel Consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Nov 2007, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

High Fuel Consumption

i cannot get any more than 22mpg in my relatively standard 1999 classic turbo... it only has a green panel filter, and h&s backbox... i use mobil 1 0w-40 and everything is changed acc to the service schedule... i even run 35psi front tyre pressures... 22mpg is with gentle town driving. i.e changing up at 3000 and no frequent lighting of turbo... this is a consistent figure everytime i fill up... if i drive it like an impreza should be, it drops even more... i've checked for faults inc the fault lights and all's ok... i remember consistently getting 25mpg last year with no change to my driving style... is it my maf sensor even though no fault lights are shown... the last time it was faulty the diagnostic light never lit... what are people averaging in terms of mpg with gentle town driving
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Nov 2007, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby
Paid & Proud

gentle town driving whats that, its sounds like a new language to me, flat out or bust. I only get arround 100 miles to a tank and love every second
Old 10 Nov 2007, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
cannot get any more than 22mpg in my relatively standard 1999 classic turbo

I get about 20 - 22 mpg if i'm lucky (standard 02). On the motorway around 33 mpg.

Old 10 Nov 2007, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

sounds about right then... thanks
Old 10 Nov 2007, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
I`d be happy to get 22mpg im guessing mate thats only because youre running thin oil in a classic(way to thin to be honest)i get 18mpg consistently knocking about though on a run off boost can be quite economical if you want it to be.

To be honest though i`d definately change your oil for a 15w50 (if you wanna stay with mobil mobil 1 motorsport stuffs 15w50 i think)

Thin oils definately not to be advised in a classic.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
congratulations on achieveing 22mpg,if its of any help I manage around 11mpg.
Old 10 Nov 2007, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

i average around 22mpg. the thing is, if you're worried about fuel economy, there aint much point runnin an impreza really
Old 10 Nov 2007, 07:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

fuel economy is not the worry (my other car uses as much) but the change in what was a consistent 25 mpg is... that was how i picked up the duff maf sensor... at that time, no diagnostic faults were recorded except mpg had dropped below 20 time after time... thanks for advice about the oil... will probably use mobil 1 15w-50 after this... i tend to use the thinner one during winter but i know the jap cars esp the classics like the slightly thicker ones...
Old 12 Nov 2007, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

try driving one with some mods and a heavy right foot lol
Old 15 Nov 2007, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

18mpg on mine around town(same model as yours) when it was standard. now i get about 16mpg, think yourself lucky. themn again, mine does chuck the odd flame out of the back so worth it really!
Old 15 Nov 2007, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

goodness, i'm the lucky one getting 25mpg previously... at least still 22mpg consistently... only dips below 20 if i'm being a lunatic
Old 15 Nov 2007, 10:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by minny View Post
fuel economy is not the worry (my other car uses as much) but the change in what was a consistent 25 mpg is... that was how i picked up the duff maf sensor... at that time, no diagnostic faults were recorded except mpg had dropped below 20 time after time... thanks for advice about the oil... will probably use mobil 1 15w-50 after this... i tend to use the thinner one during winter but i know the jap cars esp the classics like the slightly thicker ones...
I would say yer i see where ya coming from with regard to temperature, however how longs an impreza cool for from start ?? and anyone with any knowledge of scoobys wont rag em from cold,i ALWAYS keep below 2500rpm untill its up to temp usually below 2,000 it only takes mine around a mile and a half to warm up then if ya want to give it some grief its more about protecting crank bearings under high pressure/temp than cold start protection-just my opinion though-i`d sooner have the protection at the other end of the scale coz afterall its warm longer than its cold-not only that theyre a lot quieter with the thicker oil
Old 17 Nov 2007, 02:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i agree, the engine is much quieter on the thicker stuff... have to say, i do the same when cold... reason i always used the thinner stuff when cold was for the quick flow and i don't tend to rag it that hard but have actually decided not to bother with the thinner stuff from now on as the 15w-50 flows as well at our temperatures and the added protection and quieter engine can't be ignored