Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

newby general questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2007, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
jpm
Fresh Scooby

Talking newby general questions.

hi to all

i have just purchased an 03 wrx sti type uk with the prodrive pack. i have a couple of question which i was wondering could someone answer for me.

• the car in first gear and second when pulling away on low revs seems to judder slightly. the clutch does not slip at all and gear changes are good. is this normal?
  • the car is fitted with an hks bov and only seems to make a noise from about 7000rpm. the adjustment screw was in when i bought it but since i have wound it out but no change. i had one fitted to a fiat coupe 20v turbo i used to own and it make a noise from around 2.5-3k rpm. any ideas?
  • also does anyone know the size of the speakers in the front and rear lower part of the doors?
many thanks

j-p
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Nov 2007, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Hi mate the judder is pretty normal however usually after a new clutch/flywheel theyre ok-isnt a problem just how they are if you pull off steady mainly when cold, usually its the wear on the flywheel that causes it-ive had an uprated clutch and lightened flywheel in about 20,000miles and mine hasnt done it since however i just got used to pulling off with a few more revs when cold beforehand.
Could always take the bov to bits (if you can )it may be just sticking.
Old 07 Nov 2007, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
jpm
Fresh Scooby

hi dave.

thank you for your comments, i feel alot more at ease now. i'll have a go at the bov and see if it makes a difference.

many thanks

j-p
Old 08 Nov 2007, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
I know its worrying it feels like the gearbox is nackered an the vibration goes right through the drivetrain but not uncommon in fact i believe when some of the classic shape were new alot of cars were took bk for replacement clutches/flywheels as owners werent happy, when the time comes can recommend an exedy clutch and a lightened flywheel think mines about 7kg std ones 12kg "i believe"can get 5kg but didnt want to go too light-lightened flywheel made a noticeable difference on acceleration.
Old 09 Nov 2007, 07:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
jpm
Fresh Scooby

thanks for the advice. i've now cleaned out the bov aswell and seems to be kicking in around 4.5-5k rpm now rather than higher.

j-p