Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

High emissions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2007, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

High emissions

Hello, just took my brother-in-laws car for the MOT. It has failed on emissions ie high CO @ 1.8% that rises as high as 3.7%. Lambda sensor is not doing much (appears to be no output when I check white wire and earth) the heater element is open circuit when tested with a multimeter.
Had this prob last year and fitted a new (cheap) sensor. It brought down emisions to a lower level, still too high; but tester let it go...

The current tester thought it may have had Cat removed?? I've had a look and there appears to be a small cat like object. How big are originals. This one is about 3.5'' dia.

Therefore: ordered a new sensor, but I am concerned that it won't be enough to get a pass. Fault codes recently threw up about nine!! separate codes when checked by another garage (I'm a mechanic) and engine check light was frequently lit. I traced it down to a duff battery and light has remained off. Any ideas welcome. Where abouts is the coolant temp sensor on these cars its a 1996 WRX turbo import 2.0 I nearly (stupidly) forgot to add. Any dodges also welcome. What type of lambda sensor should be fitted to these cars??? Thanks
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi, It's now fixed & PASSED!!
The problem was the oxygen (lambda sensor) no output as all three wires had become attached internally.
The emissions are now perfect (Intermotor sensor 3-wire £45.00) much better than last year with cheapo lambda sensor fitted.
By the way, there were no fault codes stored pointing to sensor, just one for the knock sensor, which I will sort ASAP.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Glad its sorted & passed.

Old 28 Sep 2010, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: High emissions

Hi were did you get the lambda sensor from i've got the same prob but can't seem to find a sensor for an import ? Thanks
Old 30 Sep 2010, 07:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrivab View Post
Hi were did you get the lambda sensor from i've got the same prob but can't seem to find a sensor for an import ? Thanks
if you don;t get any luck try scoobyclinic, they normaly have about 50 in stock lol
Old 30 Sep 2010, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi thanks for that i'll give em a try. As you might of noticed i'm new here and all though i no some about engine's only lately managed to get a impreza i've been told as well that the ECU has it's own water temp sensor ! and mine has gone my temp gauge in the car works fine so i was wondering if it has and if any one new were about it is on the engine ? or is the garage trying to con me a bit ! It's a classinic import with a ej20 engine by the way Thanks
Old 30 Sep 2010, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Hi thanks for that i'll give em a try. As you might of noticed i'm new here and all though i no some about engine's only lately managed to get a impreza i've been told as well that the ECU has it's own water temp sensor ! and mine has gone my temp gauge in the car works fine so i was wondering if it has and if any one new were about it is on the engine ? or is the garage trying to con me a bit ! It's a classinic import with a ej20 engine by the way Thanks
Coolant Temp Sensor Location? is their a code 21 stored? as this is the engine coolant temp sensor is their a check engine light on in dash?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Do you notice extra fuel consumption more on start up than normal? does the water temp needle on dash read halfway when engine fully warmed up or does it run a bit colder as if it runs a bit cooler it will burn more petrol and this would be one of these problems and could be the engine coolant temp sensor
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi thanks a lot for the info ! the more full store is it went through the last mot easy about 4 month back i was going on about 600 mile run and the check engine light came on part way and stayed on the full trip. it's been on and off a bit since some time only flashing a few times. took it for an mot last week and the emissions were very high ( going to over 7 on the Co2 and lambda sencer to low a reading ) it use's a fair bit of fuel not getting more than 20mpg even on a run ! the temp gauge in the car goe's to half way and stays there it dosent use any water or oil starts spot on every time and goes distance no problem ! i no the engine is sound i plan on changing this sensor , the front lambda sensor and the front cat, ( not looking forward to that lol ) hoping that will sort it. Do you no if the temp sender on the import is the same as uk spec on doe's it have a ditterent one ? Thanks for all your help by the way i really thankfull for it as i could do with my car back on the road and it past everything except the emissions.
Old 01 Oct 2010, 05:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Id change the coolant temp sensor so bud as it sending up a check engine light code 21, my lambda sensor went aswell and it never sent up a check engine light easy to replace just warm the engine up and have the exhaust warm not hot or cold just warm enough spray wd40 round the old lamda sensor will need a special socket for it and it should fly out then copper grease the new treads on new sensor they normally coated with grease anyway when new but make sure it an original subaru sensor as cheap lambda sensors can cause issues
Old 01 Oct 2010, 09:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Thanks i,ve got a feeling it's down to the temp sender and lambda sensor on one of the try's on the emisions it nearly past then went high again so it's something that can change ! found the temperature sender today ( thanks to your help ) and ordered a new one ( looks a pig to get at ) and got a lambda on it's way so hopefull get it back in for a test again later this week. I'll let you no what happen's thanks for the help ( can always spot the new boys lol )
Old 03 Oct 2010, 01:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Thanks i,ve got a feeling it's down to the temp sender and lambda sensor on one of the try's on the emisions it nearly past then went high again so it's something that can change ! found the temperature sender today ( thanks to your help ) and ordered a new one ( looks a pig to get at ) and got a lambda on it's way so hopefull get it back in for a test again later this week. I'll let you no what happen's thanks for the help ( can always spot the new boys lol )
Glad to help
Old 08 Oct 2010, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Hi just to follow up car passed the M,O,T yesterday no prob with the CO2 down to .21 from up to 7.4 thats one hell of a difference just for the ECU temp sender and the front Lambda sensor. Thanks for the help !
Old 09 Oct 2010, 01:16 AM   #14 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Quote:
Hi just to follow up car passed the M,O,T yesterday no prob with the CO2 down to .21 from up to 7.4 thats one hell of a difference just for the ECU temp sender and the front Lambda sensor. Thanks for the help !
No hassle