Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

something not right?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Oct 2007, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

something not right?????

hi all i need help with my impreza turbo 2000 uk 1999 reg when idleing the whole car shakes form side to side is this normal its not a violent shake but my mates car does not do it also coming home from work today my mate in his audi a4 1.8 turbo was keeping up with me i know he has had a bit of work done surely i should be able to pull away from him. also every now and again i get a back fire sound the garage said it was my leads and quoted me 180 quid for a set they said it was miss firing all help would be most appreciated
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick5410 View Post
hi all i need help with my impreza turbo 2000 uk 1999 reg when idleing the whole car shakes form side to side is this normal its not a violent shake but my mates car does not do it also coming home from work today my mate in his audi a4 1.8 turbo was keeping up with me i know he has had a bit of work done surely i should be able to pull away from him. also every now and again i get a back fire sound the garage said it was my leads and quoted me 180 quid for a set they said it was miss firing all help would be most appreciated
i quite often get a backfire or popping, sometimes on changing up but more often on overrun. it all depends on the circumstances that the backfiring happens under really. i'm not sure if it'll work but try doing an ecu reset and see if it throws up any codes. this might help with that

courtesy of batfink

Got this off a another site.

ECU Reset - Courtesy of MRT rally

NOTE: This is only applicable to MY93-00 (GCA) models. The later model MY01 (GDA) onwards require the use of a product such as the DeltaDash or similar to reset the ECU. Please see
www.ecutek.com.au/delta-dash.htm for more information.

ECU clear memory procedure is as follows for auto and manual transmissions:

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off. Place gear shift lever into park (auto transmission cars only)
Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.
NOTE: sometimes they are still taped over with some small amount of plastic tape, so look hard, they will be there!
With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, (and for auto transmission, cycle the gearshift lever from park to neutral and back to park ), depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.
Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.
ECU is now re-set.
At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.
Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.
Disconnect the plugs.
Job complete.

as for the a4 turbo keeping up with you, i wouldnt worry too much about it. i had a seat leon keep up with me a few weeks ago.

not sure about what might be causing the car to shake on idle tho i'm afraid.

Last edited by tom73; 08 Oct 2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Running on three cylinders would cause the motor to shake more, and sometimes its not noticed.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 10:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

ive just done the reset all seems to be well the back fire is happening when i take my foot off the go pedal they told me it was missing when i put it in the garage have had oil/filter change plugs etc just could not afford the 180 quid they quoted me for new leads is there anyway of testing the leads or is there anything else i can do thanks for your help guys
Old 09 Oct 2007, 07:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

leads are no way £180, you could sort a set of high quality competition leads from Magnecor for less than half that..................
Old 09 Oct 2007, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
If its just on lift off mick (popping banging whatever)think you`ll find its normal (more noticeable if decatted)if it doesnt do it under load when accelerating wouldnt worry too much about it and ya mate with the audi-guessing its 180-200bhp -std uk scooby like ours starts out at 217bhp however take into account uve got another diff 2 more driveshafts and a propshaft to turn then wouldnt be suprised if their aint much in it once rolling, youve gotta really work the gears/revs right on a std-ish uk to get results an even then theres cars that`ll easily suprise ya dont make the mistake of thinking a uk turbo is unbeatable-they definately aint-However have a go off the line against ya mate-that`l put the smile bk on ya face

Like stockcars said magnecor leads are around 80 a set, bought some for mine soon after i had it 4yrs ago-theyre still fine.

Last edited by uk dave; 09 Oct 2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09 Oct 2007, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i did a sort of launch control start today with him at the side of me you know 4000 revs ish then just went for it i think i need to go for an eye test as i could not see him in my rear view mirror i let my mate have a look today and he says its missing but it only seems to be at low revs and when im at a constant speed 30 40 ish the popping only happens when i come off the go pedal got a quote today for some standard leads of 41 quid if that cures it i will get a better set later on. i just want to make my baby better not only that my wallet starts to worry just the car shakeing now but i think thats down to the leads also fingers crossed thanks for the help guys
Old 09 Oct 2007, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

If i hold mine between 2 an 3000 revs where the turbo comes in mine gets a bit lumpy thats normal-ish but as soon as ya boot it its fine.

Hope all goes well mate.
Old 10 Oct 2007, 11:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

yeah mine hesitates a bit around 2-3000 too. been told its nothin to worry about
Old 11 Oct 2007, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well new leads on seems to have made a differance will i have to do an ecu reset ??? im still getting a smell of petrol from the exhaust and the car still shakes side to side a bit on idle i will take it on a proper drive out tommorrow just need to know is there anything else i need or could do thanks for all the help
Old 12 Oct 2007, 07:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

if it shakes at idel it could well be mis-firing/only running on 3 cylinders??
would suggets a compression check also
Old 12 Oct 2007, 06:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

bad news im affraid went to garage today and they told me its losing compresion but on a brighter note its under warrenty so getting a curtasy car monday and they are doing everything also master cylinder had gone for the clutch so thats getting done and they are chucking in new disks and pads as a sorry so will let you know when i get the car back. so on a bit of a downer at the moment but will be back on the road soon thanks to all for the help its been much apreciated thanks
Old 13 Oct 2007, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Thats fairly good of em mate at least its gettin sorted ok-look at it this way could av happened out of warranty.
Old 14 Oct 2007, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

thye discs and pads are classed as wearing items so they'll probably be having to absorb the cost of them themselves too which also seems rather good of em
Old 14 Oct 2007, 06:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

well they have picked the car up and even give me a curtosy car problem is its a 1.3 fiesta 0 - 60 in about 3 and a half weeks the dealer ship is being really good with me about it they said if they cant sort the engine they will put a recon in and i get a certificate of the mileage of the new engine plus a 6mths further warrenty they also said they are going to go over the full car and replace anything that looks as tho it is going to go they told me it will take about a week to sort but i could have it back before then so its just a case of waiting now they said they would put new diskc and pads on as to say sorry you never know they might even wash it!!!