Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Please help - proper bed-in of new brakes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Oct 2007, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
cj3
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via ICQ to cj3
Please help - proper bed-in of new brakes!

A newbie question, sorry...

I did a research over the internet and found a number of ways to bed in new brake pads and rotors. Some suggest simply to be gentle on the brakes for the first a couple of hundres kilometers. Others advice special procedures - like bringing the car from 100 km/h to 15 km/h for like 10 times.

I have 2007 Impreza STi with the standart brembo brakes. I changed my front brake pads today. Does anyone know what is the best or at least "never wrong" procedure to bed in the stock sti brakes?

Thank you very much in advance!
Old 05 Oct 2007, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
I always thought you were supposed to do 200 miles of gentle driving to bed new pads in
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2007, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

i just bought new discs n pads from 'godspeed motorsport' in s.wales(standard discs which he has grooved and ferrodo 2500 pads). the owner ian who i believe frequently rallys cars said to take it easy for 200/300 miles and then do full on hard stops from 70mph to 0 for a few times, and then full on stops from 100mph to 0. this will properly bed in the new discs.
Old 07 Oct 2007, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

you need to follow the directions of the supplier/manufacturer as different compounds/makes require varying bedding procedures
Old 08 Oct 2007, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
cj3
Fresh Scooby

Send a message via ICQ to cj3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcar View Post
you need to follow the directions of the supplier/manufacturer as different compounds/makes require varying bedding procedures
I have read a number of different procedures, but couldn't find a specific one for the stock 2007 STi brakes (the Brembos).

Anyway, i had to travel 500 miles during the weekend so i decided to give it a try, hoping not to spoil anything. This is what i did - i drove 100 miles using the brakes mildly when needed, then i tried the Hawk's procedure - 1st warmed up the brakes gently, then performed 8 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph. I didn't feel the fading around the 7-8 stop as described so i performed 3 more stops. I still didn't feel a strong fade, but i decided it's enough torture since i wasn't really sure what I'm doing I forgot to mention that it was a little rainy, so i'm guess that's one of the reasons for not being able to fully hard break and therefore reaching the "total fade condition".

After the last run i stopped to cool and check the brakes. The rotors were covered with slight blue tint and there was also smoke coming out. This is described as normal, and i really hope so... :P

one of my resources: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

PS: does anyone know the specific model of the Brembo pads that the stock STi is using? If it helps - here is a picture of the back of the fronts - i took it before the replacement: http://lh3.google.com/are003/RwnjsGN...JPG?imgmax=640
Old 08 Oct 2007, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

the stock car uses a std O.E material that can be damaged using that aggressive bedding procedure..................

also the worst thing you can do when you have completed any repeated, hard braking is come to a complete stop!! always better to travel for 5-10miles to allow them to cool naturally

alyn