Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Bent Frame

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2007, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Bent Frame

Hey there. Got rear-ended and the guy didn't have insurance. Didn't call the cops because he seemed like a stand-up guy. Gave me a bullshit number, though, and tracking him down is too much of a pain. I need to bend the frame out at the base of the trunk near the right taillight, and I was wondering if anyone's got any low-budget ideas. I have a safety inspection coming up, so I need to get the taillight properly aligned - can't allow water to get in. My plan so far is to cut a 2x4 to use as a brace along the front of the trunk. To that I'll attach a jack to push out the rear-right corner. Does anyone have an easier/better idea, other than paying someone to do it or buying a frame bender? Any suggested additions to my plan?

Keep the peace.

-cp
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2007, 09:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi,

Rear-ended & the guy gave you a bullshit number

Sorry I can't help you with the bent frame problem. Wish I could.

Old 09 Aug 2007, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

tbh be best to get it on a jig and straightened out properly, only way to be sure.

other possible option is it take arse end pannel off a donor car and welld it on, done properly can be good as new, was how girlyrcers car was repaired
Old 04 Sep 2007, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

It worked!

I'm cheap, so I tried my car jack contraption. In my particular situation, it worked pretty well. I used it to bend the trunk lid, too, but with limited success - too crumpled. I had to improvise as I went (used my shoe for a bit), and a house jack would've better fit the job, but I passed my safety inspection. It's worth a shot if you can't pay somebody or if you need a short-term solution...

Thanks to those who replied to my first post.

-cp
Old 05 Sep 2007, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by postlewt View Post
I passed my safety inspection. It's worth a shot if you can't pay somebody or if you need a short-term solution...
Nice one!