Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

why are subaru sti so noisy and tappety

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2007, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Red face why are subaru sti so noisy and tappety

hi guys i was wondering why are subaru engines really ment to be loud unlike normal cars isit cus the engine is sidewards or sumat,ive never owned a subaru before so its new to me.cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2007, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
To be honest with the std exhaust/filter on they arent loud really,however get a uk classic and a classic sti together with the same aftermarket exhaust and the sti is louder can only "assume"as i aint sure that the sti with the different inlet manifold has a larger throttle body different turbo so will flow more air/hence exhaust gasses get out quicker hence more noise "again guessing" really couldnt tell ya specs of an sti as aint ever looked into engine differences regarding why theyre louder.
The subaru burble if ya like that gets comments of your mates like i reckon yav got a plug down on that etc is caused by the exhaust gasses meeting at the turbo from the pair of heads out of sync as the pipe from the passenger side head is alot longer than drivers side one because of where the turbos situated-you can get equal length headers (performance related)which lose the notorious subaru sound.........................but why would ya i love it Pics of each below first pic unequal (or std length) note short pipe from right handside head to collector and 2nd pic where the same side pipe loops round to lengthen the pipe off of that side head to equal the othersides length.

Last edited by uk dave; 15 Jul 2007 at 07:18 AM.
Offline   Reply With Quote