Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Diff troubles ?!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Jul 2007, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Red face Diff troubles ?!!!!!

Hello, This is my first post and and I am already pretty desperate! I have a 1996 import impreza WRX automatic wagon which I think is ace but I started getting a whirring noise at anything above 30 mph and when I reversed the car would bang backwards and the rear wheels would skid. Being a bit stupid I ignored it for a week or two until the rear diff caught fire . I took the diff to a transmission expert in preston who informed me the diff was knackered. I then bought a second hand diff following the guy telling me it was a 4:1 ratio unit I required. I took it to my local garage who fitted it for me and I thought i was sorted, nope!! I am again getting the same whirring noise and the banging in reverse. I am pretty far of anything like a mechanic as you can probably tell and am wondering if anyone can shed any light or have any ideas what this problem might be, could it be the centre diff causing the problem? I have no idea what to do next. Does anyone know of a decent impreza expert in the northwest of england who could perform a dignostic test and not charge me the earth.
Cheers.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jul 2007, 10:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyazz View Post
I am pretty far of anything like a mechanic as you can probably tell and am wondering if anyone can shed any light or have any ideas what this problem might be
Hi, I'm sure Alyn Stockton (stockcar) will help you! he is a .Org member/Sponsor.

Give him a ring! http://www.asperformance.com/

Old 04 Jul 2007, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Cheers pete I'll do that tommorow, appreciate that mate.
Andy Vickers.