Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Oil leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2007, 08:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oil leak

anyone has any ideas?.. noticed that the joint between the turbo/flexible pipe, flexible pipe/intercooler and intercooler/manifold is damp with oil... obviously oil is getting into the intake system... but where?.. the car is not using any oil, the exhaust is not smoky and the car only has 35000 miles... i always let the engine run for a bit before shutting down... i use mobil 1...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2007, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Theres always a sml amount of oil that ends up in the pipes from the turbo basically its what gets past the seals howevers only usually a small amount,if its on the outside of the pipes yav got one split-if its the plastic y piece pipe from the turbo to intercooler theyre prone to splitting.
Old 01 Jul 2007, 11:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

the oil thing and the plastic pipe splitting is useful to know... i've checked mine and its the pipe to intercooler joint that is seeping so i tightened the jubilee clips... thanks for info
Old 01 Jul 2007, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
No probs-if ya keeping the top mount ya better with the samco replacement it flows the air better as it doesnt taper off for the flexible bits-were a small improvement on mine when i replaced it-whoever designed the plastic pipe wants shooting.
Old 01 Jul 2007, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

will look up samco replacement tonight... you're right about the plastic pipe... bled clutch when engine was warm... try getting the pipe back onto the turbo without getting a hernia or accidentallycrushing fins under intercooler...
Old 04 Jul 2007, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

does the samco intercooler hose make any difference to a standard turbo wagon?.. e.g. improved throttle response/ less lag/ more power, or does it only benefit higher power models
Old 04 Jul 2007, 10:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by minny View Post
does the samco intercooler hose make any difference to a standard turbo wagon?.. e.g. improved throttle response/ less lag/ more power, or does it only benefit higher power models
You will get better airflow & a nice tight fit with a samco intercooler hose + silicon hoses operate at much higher temperatures and pressures than other hoses.