Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

check engine light/ misses above 4000rpm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jun 2007, 11:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

check engine light/ misses above 4000rpm

Hello all,
I'm new to the site and need a bit of help. Just today on the way to work my engine died for about 2 seconds and came back on. About 30 seconds after that the check engine light came on. The car is running fine now except the check engine light is still on and if the engine revs above 4000rpm it acts like a rev limiter come on.(misses badly) As soon as the RPMs drop below 4000 it runs fine again. The red line for the engine is 6000rpm.
any ideas or thoughts???

Car info:
93 impreza 1.8L sedan
5 speed stick
150,000 miles
I live in the US if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the help.
Darrell
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 07:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

the car is now rnning in "safe" mode and restricting your revs to 4000 as part of that protection......................

you need to check the fault codes and suss exactly why this has occurred?? speedo still working??
Old 06 Jun 2007, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

speedo is working. I have not had time to get it checked so far maybe tonight. new to the area were i currently live, need to find a good wrench to handle the things I can't.
Old 07 Jun 2007, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockcar View Post
the car is now rnning in "safe" mode and restricting your revs to 4000 as part of that protection......................

you need to check the fault codes and suss exactly why this has occurred?? speedo still working??
I use to drive a medium duty tow/recovery truck. It was easy to pull codes off it and the ecu did a great job of protecting the engine by cutting the amount of fuel and such if there was a problem of some sort. I figured it was a safe mode situation just wondered if anyone had ideas on what it would be.
That's basicly a million dollar question because there could be about a million reasons for the light to come on.

I reset the ecu and will drive it easy for a day or two and see if the CEL comes back on.
Thanks for the input
Old 18 Feb 2008, 07:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

try the plugs even if they look ok replace them with some good quality ones coz ur problem sounds familiar, sounds like a longshot but i had the same prob and it turned out to be one plug that looked fine by me
Old 18 Feb 2008, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cool Scooby

Send a message via MSN to Anders52
as above the car is running in "safe mode" or limp home mode. Usually caused by a sensor failure etc.
What you need to do is read the fault codes by connecting the black connectors under your steering column assuming your car has OBDI connectors (not sure if this is possible due to age and location). If you can this will in turn flash the cel light so you can decipher the codes it produces.

This will then tell you what the problem is but expect more than one code as for example if the water temp sensor is faulty it could throw one of the other sensors out due to the engine running out of parameters.
Old 06 Mar 2008, 03:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

i had same thing was my boost controller running ok now except for other codes i got!
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: check engine light/ misses above 4000rpm

Hi Guys, thanks very much for the info. But no engine light is coming on and my car doesnt misfire it just cuts out. My car is a UK model does it make a difference?

Last edited by Colinnina; 04 Aug 2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Missed some crucial information
Old 04 Aug 2008, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Re: check engine light/ misses above 4000rpm

just for an update for my sti, after alot of playing around Dave at Tileys decided to check in the fuel tank and at some point water was in there and caused the pump to rust, and the particles where obviously getting to the fuel filter and stopping the fuel flow once it had been used from the filter to the engine hence my loss of power

i had a new tank fitted and pumps from a P1 and she has been sweet as ever since, all fault codes gone,

thanks