Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Help needed: Hesitation and lack of power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 May 2007, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Help needed: Hesitation and lack of power

I have recently noticed that my 02 WRX has become hesitant on acceleration and lacks any sort of kick.

When I accelerate It feels very hesitant and lumpy, the smooth acceleration has gone and when im up at about 4000rpm the feeling I get back from the car is that its definatetly not happy being there.

The car has only 35,550 miles on the clock, always run it on V Power and the only modification is a performance exhaust system with the cats still in place.

This is my first Scooby and dont want to kill it just yet so any help or suggestions on what may be causing it would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Darren
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 04:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Could need plugs or could be boost solenoid a bit clogged up, if its a slight miss at high revs it sounds like plugs if its hesitant coming on boost try cleaning out boost solenoid with precision cleaner/brake cleaner, another possibility i`d av thought is it could be maf sensor on its way out but when mine went i got a lumpy tickover aswell,could have a pipe somewhere leaking air probably worth checking-or even a faulty dumpvalve think ive about covered everything.
Old 30 May 2007, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Young Scooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk dave View Post
Could need plugs or could be boost solenoid a bit clogged up, if its a slight miss at high revs it sounds like plugs if its hesitant coming on boost try cleaning out boost solenoid with precision cleaner/brake cleaner, another possibility i`d av thought is it could be maf sensor on its way out but when mine went i got a lumpy tickover aswell,could have a pipe somewhere leaking air probably worth checking-or even a faulty dumpvalve think ive about covered everything.

Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for a new better quality set of plugs for the car at the moment even though they were only changed 4000 miles ago.

Have ordered a K&N Panel filter to help the car breathe a bit better and im looking to upgrade the DV soon.

I took the car on a 100 mile run yesterday to see if it cleared itself, it appeared to be a bit more responsive on the motorway but when I went back to normal A roads it became rough again. I popped into the garage yesterday that I bought the car from as they had forgotten to stamp the service book and mentioned the problem to them, they suggested I take the car to them next week and they will have a good look over it.

What I have noticed is that if I rev the engine whilst stationary the car rocks over to the right - this is definately something that it never used to do.

Thanks again

Darren
Old 30 May 2007, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:

What I have noticed is that if I rev the engine whilst stationary the car rocks over to the right - this is definately something that it never used to do.

It sounds like a slight misfire, as Dave said it could be the Plugs.

Old 30 May 2007, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

I had another run in it today and it would appear that it has no kick until about 4000/4500 RPM even then its struggling.

I will be fitting a K&N panel filter this week as I noticed that the air filter was extremely dirty after removing it today. I will also get the plugs changed very soon.

Fuel consumption has stayed the same, not burning oil and it is smoke free so im hoping its something minor.