Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Boost Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 May 2007, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Boost Problem

Looking For Some Help/advice.i Have A 99 Uk Turbo.have Noticed That Intermittantly When Going To Overtake That I Am Only Getting 5psi Of Boost Instead Of The Normal 15psi.if I Keep The Foot Down It Eventually Kicks Back To Life.its A Bit Worrying When Trying To Overtake Safley Then Getting Very Little Boost.can Anyone Help/give Advice.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2007, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Try cleaning out your boost pipes to the solinoid. They can get contaminated with oil which will cause boost problems

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 07 May 2007, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

does it stop when you change gear or come off the throttle for a second?

get revs higher before you go, i get it on mine, basicly subaru built in a test section in the ecu, if you hold it at certain revs then boot it, it hits 0.5 then stops, hold sat at that till you come off the throttle or it will slowly slowy increase.

not saying for def its that but i get it thrrough a certain section of road (50 yards of 30pmh after a round about, then into a national, if i don't either up change or come of throttle before wellying it it holds the boost).

try comming off the throttle and see if that works.

had quiet a few people baffled with mine cos of it, had to get the lowdown from pat herborn about it in the end lol
Old 08 May 2007, 03:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

As per Pete's comments - my money would be on the boost solenoid. Clean it out with carb/brake cleaner and performance should be restored
Old 21 Oct 2007, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi ive started having same problem with my 97 scoob. it only boosts upto 0.5 bar and wont go any higher ive tried booting it from a junction or reving it through the gears and it wont boost past 0.5 its bin 2 local garage they have swapped solenoid and actuator and the boost pipe but still doing it its going back in next friday to have the ecu changed so i will let you know if that sorts the problem
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew72 View Post
hi ive started having same problem with my 97 scoob. it only boosts upto 0.5 bar and wont go any higher ive tried booting it from a junction or reving it through the gears and it wont boost past 0.5 its bin 2 local garage they have swapped solenoid and actuator and the boost pipe but still doing it its going back in next friday to have the ecu changed so i will let you know if that sorts the problem

read below, take foot off throttle then back on again and see what happens, if it sorts it its just the test function
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:

read below, take foot off throttle then back on again and see what happens, if it sorts it its just the test function
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Quote:

Old 28 Oct 2007, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi found out there is a problem in the ecu not switching when it should, i could have got a re-con 1 for £150 but opted for a greddy pro spec 2 boost controller which will sort the problem out plus will be able 2 run 1.1 bar of boost and be better 4 when i upgrade 2 a bigger turbo