Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Fuel system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 May 2007, 01:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Unhappy Fuel system

Hi all,

Just had the car in for MOT and found that its failed due to a leaking fuel filler pipe. It's not a huge leak at the moment but it's a failure nonetheless.

Does anyone know what they're like to replace and where's the best place to get a replacement from other than a dealer? (haven't had the best of experiences with dealers in the past)

Other than that and a number plate bulb, everything was fine. Not bad for a car that's done over 114,000 miles!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Tom
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 May 2007, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

www.scoobyclinic.com
Old 05 May 2007, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Bet it were leaking on the bend at the bottom theres a plastic cover that fits on it under the arch to protect it a bit but when i removed mine to underseal rear arches saw it were rusty-(looks like a bit of a water/crap trap and hence it rusts) so chipped it off an repainted the pipe but still expecting to replace mine sometime-dont look to bad a job to do yourself though to me-i`d definately have a go first-though to be honest would buy a new one from a dealer mine had only done about 35,000 mile when i noticed it the first time i undersealed me car so chances of getting a mint 2nd hand one would be slim i guess.
Old 05 May 2007, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

got it in one mate. leaking from where the cover clips to the pipe. the bloke who tested it said that i could either try to get hold of a replacement pipe or cut out the rotten section and replace it with a section of rubber pipe.

if its got to be bought from a dealer then i'll have to bite the bullet and give them another chance. to be honest i'm a bit gutted that it's failed on something like this. sounds like it's a common problem tho
Old 06 May 2007, 10:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Think it must be mate, but still could have been worse me mates 2006 sti blew up the other night already had replacement turbo under warranty though its been remapped exhaust an the usual bits-he`s got the std bits bk on and`s hoping they dont notice the map but to be fair he`s got a good relationship with the dealers as his dads had about 4 scoobys from them so`s hoping it gets done under warranty(wouldnt be too impressed meself though).One of me other mates(cant clarify)said its only done 12k miles.
Old 06 May 2007, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I'm working in Warrington at the minute so i'll have to see if i can find a dealer in that area. It doesn't look too bad a job to do really. The daft thing is, the bloke said that if i'd taken it in with about a quarter of a tank of fuel, it probably would have passed because it would have been below the level of the leak!

Sorry for not replying tidgy mate. I had thought about giving adam at scoobyclinic a call but with me doing 7 day weeks at the moment, i wouldn't be able to get the car over to them. I will probably give them a call for some advice if i decide to have a go at sorting it myself tho.
Old 06 May 2007, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

u could always get second hand of an import. i know there a common problem on leggacy.
Old 20 May 2007, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

managed to get hold of a second hand pipe from scooby clinic. £25 + vat. James did me proud by taking the bit off a car they were scrapping and leaving it out for me to pick up (had to travel over from warrington). Subaru wanted £170 + vat for the same part . all sorted now though and got it through the re-test with no problems other than an advisory for a slightly pitted rear disc.

thanks for the help guys and thanks to the guys at scooby clinic too
Old 20 May 2007, 03:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Glad ya got it sorted... Scoobyclinic does it again....

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 20 May 2007, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

nice one mate