Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Acceleration issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Mar 2007, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Acceleration issues

I seem to be having problems sometimes when accelerating. When accelerating in third the rev counter gets to just below 3000 revs the needle then jumps to 3500-4000 revs really quickly then drops back down to 3000 again and then accelerates normally their is no acceleration to match the big jump on the rev counter. Also just fitted dump valve and it doesnt always give the clean blast as with the other gears(the acceleration problems were happening before dump valve fitting). Any ideas anyone??

Could it be my clutch slipping slightly my car does suffer from clutch judder when cold and has done 70,000 mile (on original clutch as far as im aware) or is my turbo shafted!!!
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2007, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
Would say its probably a fault on the rev counter,dump valves will sound quieter at lower boost levels in higher gears the boost tends to be less if your not going for it-if youve got a boost gauge have a look at what boost pressure it sounds good at in the lower gears then try an match it in a higher gear an i reckon it`ll sound the same.
Quite a few imprezas suffer from clutch judder its usually down to the clutch/flywheel surfaces mine were only noticeable though when pulling off really steady-didnt bother me too much though but is a common thing-you will know when your clutch is slipping trust me-if it does really bother ya change them but to be honest id get a bit more wear out the clutch-as you say its only really a problem anyway when cold.

Hope that helps mate
Old 29 Mar 2007, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

sounds like clutch going i'm afraid, sudden turbo boost will be causing extra power to make the clutch slip, at guess anyway
Old 03 Apr 2007, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Young Scooby

when my clutch was slipping, the revs would go up but my car wouldnt go any faster on boost. Thus i changed the clutch.

Does your car boost ok when you are accellerating in all gears? If not check the boost solonoid and clean that with brake cleaner. i doubt your turbo is going coz if it was you would get very sluggish acceleration in all your gears. BTW which year scooby do you have?

If you car is sluggish check all pipe work for air leaks as often this can cause sudden boost. I had an airleak in my scoob, the dump valve worked fine my revs where erractic. leak was found in my pipework ( FMIC ) and had the restrictor removed from boost solonoid and had it cleaned.

i hope this info helps