Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

headers, gas consumption

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Jan 2007, 09:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

headers, gas consumption

I have an 02 WRX wgn (sans bug-eye, i have Morette's now) and ive recently added headers and an up-pipe and wow that was a decent amount of work. everything is back together and running good except for one major concern, my fuel consumption has increased significantly. the new up-pipe has bungs which i installed the O2 sensor and what i believe is a temp sensor but obviously im running without a cat in the up-pipe. i have a dual dump downpipe that deleted the other cat and i still have the third cat and the final O2 sensor. im not getting a check engine light but i was told by one Subie nut that i could possibly still be throwing a code without tripping the check engine light. is that possible? and what is the dilemma with my fuel consumption? any help would be great.

My other concern is when i get into the throttle im hearing a relatively loud hissing/whishing noise from the passenger side of of the firewall (the turbo). is this just noise from the wastegate opening sooner and farther due to faster spool up and i need to get use to it since i deleted the cat or is this related to my first problem?

thanks jim
Offline   Reply With Quote