Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

boot wet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jan 2007, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

boot wet?

Howdo,
I have a problem with my car letting water into the boot. I think its where the spoiler is attached to the boot, but how are these attached to the boot? Is there supposed to be a seal on the lid to make a waterproof seal, or should it stop the water anyway? My boot carpet is soaked, and there was about an inch of standing water in the spare wheel compartment. I've drained it all out and dried as best i could, removed the boot carpet which is being cleaned at the moment.
This is a what the spoiler looks like

help, before it starts to rust.

Also, where is the switch located to turn the light on in the boot when you open the boot hatch? It didnt work when i got the car, then started to work with the boot, and has stopped again, so i am guessing there is something up with the switch (maybe water in it lol)

Cheers guys and gals
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jan 2007, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby
Paid & Proud

Water in the boot can be caused by the spoiler or more commonly by the rear light clusters not sealing to the body work correctly. The rear spoiler should be bolted on and all fixings and holes visible when the boot is open. so a hole not sealed should be easy to spot.

As I said the rear clusters are usually the culprit, these are held on by bolts and seeing that these are aftermarket on yours it may be worth removing and resealing.

http://www.scoobyweb.co.uk
Old 13 Jan 2007, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

had a leak in my boot a while back. checked the light seals, checked the spoiler, was neither. i removed the trimming inside the boot and found i had two rubber grommets missing (in line with the back bumper). i suppose they may have been removed before i bought the car, as someone may have been feeding electrical wires through them whilst towing??
it maybe worth a look. just pull out the small black plugs which keep the plastic trimming on and pull back the trimming. stick your head inside the boot upside down and look for two rubber stoppers at bumper level, if they are not there then maybe there are two holes instead, around the size of a pound coin.
i could not get direct replacements from subaru, so i went down my local parts supplier and paid 20p for two rubber grommets that did the job just fine!
Old 13 Jan 2007, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

look in boot where u will see 4 of the 5 bolts holding then in on each side(there is a fifth on the v corner of the light)undo all 5 and see if the is silicone attaching back lights,if the seal is broken.....seal it up lol,and trust me they are a pig,the other week i spent 3 and half hours changin my original to lexus(chav)lights lol