Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

No Power Please Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Nov 2006, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy NO throtle responce when cold

Hello all. Can any one help i have a 98 ,20ltr sport auto and when its cold and you start it its flat as a pancake if you put your foot to the floor it just idles i bit higher but thats it,i have to keep it held down and lift it off a bit and back down and it will pick up then and rev up like it should. But when i go to pull off ist slow as hell a milk float would out accelerate me. It gets better the hotter the engine gets. I have changed the g box oil and the engine to ecu temp sendor. HELP
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Nov 2006, 09:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

def sounds like a sensor issue, think you need to take it to a garage and have it looked at mate
Old 20 Nov 2006, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dr. Infrastructure
Paid & Proud

Send a message via AIM to Gaza
What weight oil are you running?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

i knew of a simular problem with 1.8, it ended up been the throttle potensiometer, not cheap either
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

snail would over take me

If its any help i have had it on a daiagnosticts computer and there are no faults recorded. and i have used dextron 3 oil as recomended by subaru. i have also fitted idriudum spark plugs that never worked there is a new fuel filter on it . IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT HELP
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Regular Scooby

if youve changed the plugs, just make sure that you've reconnected the air flow sensor correctly, make sure the are no bent pins or pins popped out the housing of the connector, sorry i cant be anymore help,
good luck.
regards dave
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Smile thanks

Thanks dave i have done all that. its really got me im ,a car mechanic of 15 years and i cant find the problem, and no one i know in the trade can help unfortunatly i dont know any one at my local subaru dealership.
Old 20 Nov 2006, 09:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

Will the car rev normally when in N or is this only in D?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hello bob

No. it will start without any problems the idle is low for a few seconds then it rises up like it should on cold start if its in n or park and i put my foot to the floor its just flat i dont rev but after a few seconds it build up and will rev normaly then when i put it in drive and try to pull away it just cralws along then the revs will pick up and it will accelate up the gears but when i stop and go to pull of its falt again it gets better the warmer it gets but it is still not rite when its hot. any ideas ?
Old 20 Nov 2006, 11:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

As its still happening when in N or P is not gearbox related. Sounds like throttle position sensor... Have a look in the inlet and make sure your butterfly is not sticking. Remove TPS and give a good clean...I'm not up on the sport but if it was turbo this is what I would be looking at first..
I have a Tiley's mechanic who does repairs on the weekend in Bristol if you still have problems.
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

thanks

I will take the TPS of today at work and give it a try . thanks for your help
Old 21 Nov 2006, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

dexron3 ATF?? do you mean your running this in the engine??
Old 21 Nov 2006, 09:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

oil

no in my auto trans mate . i have 10/40 semi sin in the engine
Old 30 Nov 2006, 08:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

No Power Please Help

Hello all. I need your help i have a 97 20ltr non turbo auto wagan uk spec. And i have no power mainly at low rpm! when its cold its worse and has it warms it gets a bit better. Wot it does is when i start it witch it has a little problem doing but when its started it idles fine but when i put my foot down on the throttle pedal nothing happends its flat like the igition timing is reatarded if i fether the pedal it will pick up and rev up once its i little it will rev like normal but when i go to pull away i put it in drive and put my foot to the floor it just crawls way real slow after a few meaters it will pick up and acclerate away but as soon as i stop and go to pull away is back. the warmer it gets the better it gets but still not rite by a long way there is no miss fire at all.. I have changed the oil in the engine and the g box i have put new spark plugs changed the TPS sensor and the ECT sensor i have had it in at my local subaru main dealer and they cant find the fault all the tests done was well in the peramiters.. PLEASE HELP

[SN Content editied - GP]

Last edited by skylight; 30 Nov 2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 30 Nov 2006, 09:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator

hope we can get some answers for you here: im really unsure but my first guess would be something to do with fuel delivery... lack of fuel getting too pump etc

second to that maybe something dodgy with the gasses escaping the exhaust system and choaking up the engine... hopefully we can get some more replies for you.

third to that sensor related issues ?

four would be (automatic) that the clutch - check out the fluid see if its in good order.. Maybe the clutch is slipping big styleeee

Please keep us informed,

Gareth

Last edited by skylight; 30 Nov 2006 at 09:12 PM.