Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

coolant leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Nov 2006, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

coolant leak

I was wondering if anyone could help. my resovoir tank is leaking at the top on the drivers side of the tank only when i drive it fairly hard. If i go steady it dosent leak. I topped it up with antifreeze not so long ago but could i of put to much in would this cause this when the coolant expands under temp. i noticed there is a overflow pipe on the tank which goes accross the rad to the other side into a plastic tank but the coolant dosent seem to be going in there to release the pressure when it expands could this be blocked up would that cause it. Any help would be apreciated cheers
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Nov 2006, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

what age car, the eraly plastic types are common for splitting and its far easier for the coolant to get to atmosphere than into the expansion tank.............
Old 08 Nov 2006, 09:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

my car is a 94 wrx ra. its leaking out the expansion tank at the top drivers side when it gets hot
Old 09 Nov 2006, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

just looked in expansion tank an there are bubbles appearing when it is revved what is this a sign of as the car still goes like a rocket runs spot on no mixing of coolants an dosent overheat any suggestions
Old 09 Nov 2006, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hello nath just after i bought my94 wrx my header tank was leaking coolant before that i checked that i had the correct preasure cap that was ok bought new header tank from www.dhcars.co.uk subaru dealer £90 plus pk no prob
since is yours leaking from the seal
Old 12 Nov 2006, 08:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

hi mate yes it is leaking from the seal at the top just under the top plate of the tank was this same as yours. the bubbles i feel are just trapped air as i topped the coolant up through the expansion tank which was wrong causing the air this is the first time had a scoob had skylines before so not clued up on them really. i think your right the seals must be gone so new tank it will have to be was yours just dripping down the side and leaking out the corners? as mine is
Old 12 Nov 2006, 11:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hello nath mate first i knew about it was my wheel bearing went and i thought the bearing was smoking at the time but it was the header tank leaking from around the metal seel down on to the exhaust causing the steam ,then i changed the tank main dealer part since then i had to change my top hose last week is your car a import nath
Old 14 Nov 2006, 02:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hi, i had a similar problem, i replaced mine from a later shaped impreza MY98 i think. Al though the header tank wasnt same fit. i made some steel extensions which allowed me to bolt it on to my existing header tank bolts. i also had to get slightly longer tubing which goes to the header tank, this is because the header tank is shaped slightly different.

If your wondering why i did all this. it was simply coz the later shape scoobies have a steel header tank, which is stronger and looks allot better. you can pick one of these up from a subaru breakers for around £35 delivered. Just so you know i have MY94 WRX. hope that helps. good luck.