Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

humming whinning noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Nov 2006, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Unhappy humming whinning noise

hi im new to this site an what a great site it is. Ive just bought a 1994 wrx ra which is a import. Ive done over a thousand miles since i bought it no probs for some reason now at 40mph there is like a humming noise or whine from the front of the car accelerate past and it goes but then comes back after 70mph. its baffeling me the only thing ive done is put a decat front downpipe on her but it didnt do it with it on origonally when it went on. i havent a clue i hope someone has a idea thanks for any help, Nath
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Nov 2006, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hello nath i have a wrx 94 import ive recently put a decat on ,does your car have a whistling sound when changing gear.if you have its your turbo spooling up.
Old 04 Nov 2006, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question

its not the turbo spooling up its a kind of whinning noise ive just took belt of air con and checked bearings which are ok so gonna see if thats any better as my aircon pump was noisey.its just funny it only appears at 40mph taking it steady ive also checked gearbox oil i think its the dipstick near turbo an has plenty in it so dont know
Old 04 Nov 2006, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

Hi nath,

Have a look at this thread (whinning noise)

Wheel Bearings/Tyres

Link: http://www.subaru-impreza.org/bbs/sh...whinning+noise

Old 04 Nov 2006, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Question

its not the tyres pete as they are brand new yokos all round on 18s and are wearing even all roundim gonna take it for a longish drive later to see if taking the air con belt of worked at all ill have to see an post my results, i dont think its diff or box as there is no grinding noises an drives smooth.

just tried it an it is no different could it be the gearbox or maybe thrust bearing as it could do with a new clutch soon as pedals reaching the top just like my old skyline used to before it went

Last edited by nath; 05 Nov 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 02:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
Young Scooby

hi nateh, just wondering have you checked your power steering pump. my Scoob did the same thing as yours. it ended up being the power steering pump.

the way i checked mine was the power steering mine was by first doing a full lock and holding it there. if you hear you power steering wining like mad, chances are the bearing in the pump are gone. the other way to check it is. you keep the engine running. pop the hood open. rev the engine using the throttle cable and if you can hear a whining sound comming from the power steering motor. most likley it will be that.

btw allot of people may not recommend you rev your engine. but remember you would only revining it to do a easy check.

if it is your powersteering motor, a second hand one will cost you up to £40 and a new one i think about £150. also before you buy it, look at your powersteering pump carefully as on the lower back right hand side you may have a sensor cable going into it. if you do make sure you buy powersteering pump which has that. i have a MY94 WRX (import)

i hope that helps. good luck and welcome to the org
Old 14 Nov 2006, 02:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to andrewwhitcombe
Sounds like a wheel bearing to me.??

Sounds a bit silly, but just to be on the safe side check your gearbox oil too!

If it was anything to do with the belts or pulleys it would probably be a constant noise, Although u could try spraying some belt conditioner on them to see if that helps. Personnaly I use a bit of WD40 on mine.