Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

Brake upgrade.... again!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Question Brake upgrade.... again!!

As I'm selling my front brembo's off, I'm wondering what people might suggest when it comes to replacing them?

I only have one real thing I really must have and thats to basically fit the wheel on, without the need for spacers or anything like that. I have a P1 18" wheel on my Type R at the moment and I'd rather change the caliper rather than the wheel as spacers seem to make a few hassles when I'm getting my car re-sprayed!!

I've heard great things about AP, Willwood (Richy B has them) and even Stop Tech, but which one would be good for a track day here and there (I wanna give it a go and know I can stop whenever I need too )

I was looking into a 4 or 6 pot caliper as I dont want to do something half arsed and have to spend out again to replace something that I could have gotten in the first place for 200 or so more in the first place Phew....

Anyone got any suggestions please??
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

ap 6 pots would be your best, if they'll fit under your alloys that is
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Send a message via AIM to Phill-type-R Send a message via MSN to Phill-type-R Send a message via Yahoo to Phill-type-R
Like these ones??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AP-378mm-Discs...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

yeah mate, but i would stay clear of ebay tbh
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I was looking more at the kit rather than ebay!!

I know Stockcar (Alyn from AS Performance) sells the AP kits, so I will give him a call. Its just a case of where I can get it fitted and how much I could get the front set for

I just wanna sell the Brembo's off and put the money towards paying for the AP's

Do they do a rear kit as well or not?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

put bremobs on rear and fit 6 pots on front?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

I'd still need the spacers Which is something I dont want to have on my car I've got uprated 2 pots on the rear anyways....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Sponsor
Paid & Proud

you won't need spacers for the reasr of the car Phil...........................

a new option we have available is the KAD 6pot kits, extremely good quality components at a slightly better cost than the AP versions...............

that EBAY listing will require some re-engineering to make it fit your car!!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Whats the prices on the KAD options mate? I'm just looking for something thats gonna work well for road but also not give me brake fade when going around a track as I'd like to get some practice in the car so I know how and what its like going fast

I just thought the ebay brakes looked awesome, although I think I'd need bigger wheels to fit them on!!

I take it the brakes would need to be fitted perfessionally (sorry, cant spell) if they where to be fitted?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
keep the brembo`s for what you`ll need them they should do the job without any problems
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

The Brembo's are going mate, as I dont want to use spacers on my front wheels. My sprayer is telling me that he might be able to 'flare' the arches a bit, but thats whats causing the catching on the arch or the plastic in the arch. Something needs to go and its not the wheels

I've a few people interested anyways, so its not a problem AP's or KAD's might be the way forward just yet....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Is it not just because you have the 18`s that its a problem?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

Basically, because of the type of wheel I have on, the brembo's wouldnt clear the caliper and since a proper spacer hasnt been put on, I'm getting wheel wobble through the steering which I dont want.
So as I've bought some proper spacers, it still does get around the problem the front wheels are gonna catch on the side of the wheel archers as they are sticking out too far.
When the tyres need replacing, I will be replacing them with 215's as I have 225's on there at the moment. I dont think it will be wise for me to keep 225's on the rear and have 215's on the front would it?

Having an AP or another type of caliper will get rid of the need for a spacer as I'm told. I will talk to Alyn from AS Performance to see what is what and if needs be, I'll drive up there to see him and see what's best to do about it.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Surely though by removing the spacer you risk rubbing on the suspension struts as that is normally the reason for adding spacers. Not only that but generally speaking aren`t the AP`s not bigger than the brembo`s unless you`re going to downsize them
Old 22 Oct 2006, 04:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Obsessed Scooby

The only reason that I was told that the spacers where added was to clear the bigger calipers. I dont know if it will rub on the struts but I do know the rears are close to the struts because of the bigger tyres that shouldnt be on there.

I think they designed the AP's to be inside the newer style Subaru's without spacers, I see P1's with AP's on and my car is pretty much the same body wise I would have thought.

As I say, if needs must, I'll drive to AS Performance to see what Alyn suggests, brakes and suspension if needs be. I will also admit, I've no idea whats on the suspension side of things anyways, I might be better off changing them anyways!!

I dont half love cars at times!!