Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

oil temp gauge nightmare, opinions please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Oct 2006, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

oil temp gauge nightmare, opinions please.

i've half had an(electrical) oil temp gauge fitted to my car, but have had mixed opinions on where the sender should be placed. i first had the wrong size adapter and purchased a larger one. what i over looked was that the adapter was for a ready made bung hole above cylinder 3, but the subaru garage had been trying to fit it as a sump plug adapter(so the adapter i had was still too small). subaru have argued that the sump is the best place to get an accurate reading because thats where the oil sits at all time. the supplier who sold me the gauge and 'cylinder 3' adapter says that i'll get a truer reading from the cylinder bung hole as it is the hottest area???
to be fair, the supplier is going out of his way to enable me to have a sump plug modified (if i want it placed there), but this will take time to organise, but will be hopefully free of charge.

opinions on this would really be appreciated. i'm having the car tek3 mapped in a couple of weeks and realise the importance of an accurate oil temp reading so i want it all sorted by then.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Paid & Proud

tbh not a clue might be worth gettig it fitted by a garage, should only be an hour if its already plumbed through into cockpit etc
Old 09 Oct 2006, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

its been fitted(and paid for, through the nose) by my subaru main dealers in cardiff, but of course the mechanic there is insisting that the the sender should go to the sump and at the mo i can only get hold of an adapter that goes to a ready made bung hole above the third cylinder(which the supplier insists is the best place). subaru have said they'll happily put it in this place if i want but are warning me that it will not give an accurate temp reading .tbh, i wouldn't dare try do it myself. i'm good with carving wood, modeling paint, clay n other artistic materials, but i've always found metal to be too sharp n cold.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
when i helped JD fit his it was fitted to a sandwich plate that goes on top of the oil filter
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2006, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

the sandwich plate was an option. but will the cylinder bung hole that i have the correct adapter for be better than a sump connection. i'm just hearing two divided opinions. i've paid a lot to get a boost gauge n oil temp gauge fitted to an Apillar pod, just want the oil temp to be accurate from one of these two places.
Old 09 Oct 2006, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to tiny
i would imagine the sump bung would be the better place to get the reading from but I cannot be 100 % sure on this. It seems to make sense to me though as the sump bung is so close to the oil filter which is where the sandwich plate would have gone. I hope that makes sense to you , it does for me......just
Old 09 Oct 2006, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
bob
Senior Scooby
Paid & Proud

I fitted mine to the top of engine above No3 as you say...Was told its more of an acurate reading as its the temp of the oil the engine is using and not the temp of oil sat in storage. Remember that the oil from the sump is flowed through a type of heater/cooler so may be a differant temp when being used. I also had a large oil cooler that cool the oil even more before it was used...
Old 09 Oct 2006, 09:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

well i'm off to bed now. i'll sleep on the suggestions. though i am swaying towards the bung above the 3rd cylinder. thanks for all the replies.
keep 'em coming if there are any other thoughts, opinions, experiences on this matter. it does seem weird for the top mechanic for a subaru dealer being insistant on attaching to the sump. they've drained n replaced my oil twice in the same number of weeks, thank christ i paid up front!
Old 10 Oct 2006, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

Send a message via MSN to andrewwhitcombe
I fitted one of these and i thought it was a nightmare. It took me ages to get it to work properly, a lot of try and error. I finally got it working and i was really pleased. Then i took the car out for a drive and everything was fine. Then on the way back home where it was a considerable hot day i came across some traffic and it decided to stop working, probably a break down in insulation somewhere. But i tried for a while to find out why it stopped working with no joy. An i ended up getting really anoyed and i pulled the whole thing out. Now i just have a boost gauge. Much more simple.

I am a qualified electrician too, which is quite worrying . Although i mainly deal with more mechanical things.

I hope you have more luck than me.
To be honest i think i tried to rush to much and ended up making silly mistakes.
Old 14 Oct 2006, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

so it seems that the most popular view i get is that the hottest temp from the oil gallery is needed, but i don't i want to know whether the oil is being cooled properly? hence get the reading from the sump.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 09:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Oil temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brumbrum View Post
so it seems that the most popular view i get is that the hottest temp from the oil gallery is needed, but i don't i want to know whether the oil is being cooled properly? hence get the reading from the sump.
your switch needs to go where the oil is at it's hottest.
In the past I have fitted them just before the IN side of the oil cooler, as there is less vibration here than on the engine.

HTH

Regards

Tom
Old 22 Nov 2006, 09:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dedicated Scooby

cheers m8, but its too late now, oil temp reading from the sump