Go Back   Subaru Impreza Forum - WRX STI Rally Performance Tuning > Subaru Impreza Technical Area > Technical General

Subaru Impreza Forum

noises ???????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2006, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

noises ???????

hey all
i have noticed this really annoying ticking coming from the right hand side of the engine(looking at engine from outside) if you get under the car it sounds as if its coming from the bottom of the cam cover area it only does it at idle,then at 2k revs it goes and the engine sounds great but soon as it idles again its comes back could it be something to do with the cams

also i recently fitted a decat down pipe and now as i dip the clutch at gear change i can here a popping backfire sound is this normal for a decat pipe

i hate noises
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00025.JPG (90.7 KB, 23 views)
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jul 2006, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Scooby

Send a message via MSN to uk dave
probably a tappet rattling or your injectors ticking mine does it a bit,the popping once decatted is normal though how bad depends on which exhaust youve got on, the quieter ones arent so bad.
Old 12 Jul 2006, 08:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

also check the heatshelids on the header are not ratteling as this can make that sort of sound (press a screwdriver agenst them)

Did you re fit the turbo heatsheild when you fitted the decat downpipe, if you went for a open neck one and not trimmed enough away they can make the same sound
Old 12 Jul 2006, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

iv tried the heatshield but it sounds like it coming from where the spark plugs go in so it might just be the tappets but do you think its worth trying new sparkplug incase one of them is knackered

and i forgot to put that it pops as i change up through the gears not sure if thats normal
Old 12 Jul 2006, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Scooby

Would not of thought that a faulty plug would of caused a mechanical tapping sound, more likely a missfire.

Not shure what car you have but if you have coilpacks on the plugs then the bolt that secures them can some times come lose.

as for pops and bangs on up and down changes it's totaly normal especially if you run a vta dumpvalve, it's caused by the car over fueling a little.

Have you had the car mapped for the decatt?
Old 12 Jul 2006, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
mal
Senior Scooby

my car pops aswell...... but mostly when i'm changing down......occasionally when i change up